Tuesday, December 18, 2018

GROCERY AVOIDANCE

I don't want to go to the store. 

I need a few things, but I honestly despise shopping.  I hate shopping so much that I am quite certain Hell is a mall.  Grocery shopping is the worst because I know I need to fight those crazy people, and I know I need to stand in those damn lines, and I know that at least one bag will break, and I also know that I will forget or leave behind the one and only item that I truly need on my list (something essential, like toilet paper or ice cream).

Today after work I try to steer the car toward home, but I have a short shopping list.  If I can get some of it done today, maybe it won't be so bad the next time I have to go.  I keep trying to go home, but my guilt and the steering wheel take me to the grocery store; not the small neighborhood one - the big one. 

I sit in my car for about three minutes, talking myself in to actually entering the grocery store.  Okay, okay, I am finally convinced.  I grab one of the smaller carriages (this will be a quick trip, right?) and wheel it into the store.  I prepare to enter the first aisle of items when I look at the front registers. 

The lines for an early Monday afternoon are ridiculous.

This is when I am supposed to admit that I am victorious and conquer the market!  This is when I claim the grocery store in the name of introverts everywhere, plant my flag in the frozen food section, and sing songs of praise to the register receipt as I skip out the door with my many parcels!

But what actually happens is that I spin the cart back toward the door, drop it off in front of two women who've just finished a large grocery shopping trip, and walk right back out to my car without even hesitating. 

Just like that ... five seconds in ... I've given up.

Ehhhh, I'm not suffering.  I mean, I have toilet paper at home, and I may even have ice cream.  I'm reasonably certain I can survive for a few more days.