Wednesday, May 16, 2018

WEIRD ELECTRICAL THINGEES

Weird electrical thingees are appearing all around my neighborhood.  I call them "thingees" because I have no bloody idea what they are.

For example, my friend and I are walking by the middle school that's up the hill from my house.  Hanging from the wires in the school driveway is what can only be described as a giant plastic electric tampon.  It's swinging around, bobbing way too low from the wires, and it's about the same height as a bus windshield.  We wonder what it might be and if it's dangerous.

Well, it's not dangerous because two weeks later, the giant plastic electric tampon is still hanging out and swinging around the school's access road.  Apparently, it's safe to drive by ... or hit ... or blow into the high tension wires.

But then, something else springs up; another electrical thingee is springing from the earth. 

Today I come home late from a meeting, pull my car toward my driveway, and notice a strange item stuck into the ground at the end of the street.  It looks like a fishing rod for aliens, and it is planted right next to the fire hydrant.  I don't know what it is; as a matter of fact, I cannot even wager a damn guess.  Is it for the electric company?  Gas company?  Water department?  Kids fooling around and seeing if anyone will notice a prank?

I don't get it.  Tampons for giants and fishing poles for aliens all around town.  It's a scary world, folks.  Unless, of course, someone wants to explain to me what the hell these things are, then maybe it won't be so scary ... or weird ... or joke-worthy.