Monday, May 14, 2018

SMELLING THE LILACS

In the continuing saga of pollen:

I go for a walk today.  Okay, actually I am walking home from a friend's house, but that still counts.  It's finally warm today after a chilly and grayish start to the day, so I tie my sweatshirt around my waist and head toward home.

Crossing the street by the churches, I decide to cut through the grass-covered alley instead of staying on the sidewalk.  The path is lush, green, and, best of all, in the shade. 

At the end of the walkway is a tall bush.  Yup, lilacs.  Again.

The last time lilacs and I ran into each other, I avoided them as much as I could so I wouldn't keep sneezing.  Today, pollen be damned!  It rained this weekend, it was cold this weekend, it was overcast this weekend.

I decide to change my attitude with the sun.  Since it's warm now and finally spring for real, I walk up to those lilacs, take a deep breath, savor the moment, and move on.

Now, if I can just translate that into my everyday life, the lilacs (and the pollen) can teach me life lessons.  Right now all I've got is "Stop to smell the lilacs."  I suppose "Damn the pollen!" works, too.