Saturday, May 12, 2018

ROSSINI STRIKES AGAIN

I am reasonably certain that I've written about this before, but it always fascinates me when it happens, which is once in a blue moon.

My clock-radio (yes, I STILL have one of those) is set for 5:05 a.m.  Sometimes I change the station around.  It's usually on the local Spanish station, but occasionally I will branch out to classical music or to funny morning talk.

During the night I do something that I never, ever do:  I sleep through the night.  Oh, sure, I wake up around 3:30, but I'm too tired to drag myself out of bed to pee, so, when I do get the call, I convince myself that I'll get up to pee when I roll over in ... threeeeeee, twooooo, ooooone ...  Back to sleep I go.

Then next thing I know, the alarm is going off, and it's the William Tell Overture.  You may know this as the theme song from the old television show The Lone Ranger.  Instantly I am up-and-at-'em.  It's amazing to me how the music (and having to pee) can set my day into motion.  If the music is slow and quiet, Brahms perhaps, my day starts out a lot calmer.  If it's talk radio and it's sports (and my team lost), I end up starting my day in a foul mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O91GDWGPU

Starting my day with Rossini, much like starting it with Mendelssohn, sets into motion a quick-start, and I am up and running at a break-neck pace.  Of course, by the end of the day my head is resting on my arm on the kitchen table, and I'm napping at 4:30 in the afternoon, but it's okay because I started my day at high speed and maintained that pace until the bitter end.

If only I were a Kentucky Derby horse, there might be a pay-off for this energy.  Unfortunately, I'll have to be happy with the humor I see in it all and the crazy pace I set for myself because my clock-radio happens to be set to WCRB this morning instead of WODS (oldies) or Power Ochociento or EEI Sports Talk...