Tuesday, May 15, 2018

ONE MORE DAY OF LILACS

When my old neighbor sold the house next door, the new owner, an idiot, tore out all of the lilacs and threw them away.  Yes, he ripped the plants right out of the ground like they were useless weeds. For several years, I no longer had lilacs shooting over my fence into my yard, essentially becoming "my" lilacs.  It depressed me this life without lilacs.

In the last couple of weeks I have written two blogs about encountering lilacs.  Yesterday's blog even had me tempted to cut some and bring them home, but the lilac bushes belong to the church, and I think that borders on sacrilege.

Today I arrive home from work, and, peeking over the remaining few stretches of fence that separate my "side" of the property from the neighbor's property, there are several sprigs of lilac hanging around.  I notice the smell first before I notice the plants.

Holy petals!

I quickly run into my house, grab scissors, and chop off a couple of small lilac blossoms.  As I'm carrying them into the house, I notice through the rest of the open space where the fence has fallen away: TWO more lilac bushes, huge things probably badly in need of pruning.

What the ... I thought they were gone.  I thought the neighbor destroyed every little root and every stem and every shred of lilac evidence.  Apparently, since the house is on owner number three or four since I've moved here, no one knows a damn thing about gardening. 

It does my heart and nose proud to see those brave lilacs ignoring the previous moron who pulled them all up.  HA!  You missed some roots, and now the lilac bushes are back.

Oh, and my bathroom, where I put the prigs, now smells fabulous, so thanks for that, too.