Saturday, May 26, 2018

LET THE WEEKEND RACES BEGIN

When I leave work Friday, a cool eight minutes after the day's official end time, the parking lot is a ghost town.  Even the bosses have vacated the premises in Formula One green-flag time.

The temperature is a sizzling 89 degrees, and I'd really like to get home and enjoy some downtime as the three-day weekend begins, but I have several errands to run.  I could put off the errands, but then I'd just have to do them during the heart of the weekend, and that would suck eggs.

So, despite the feeling that I am already several laps behind everyone else in starting my mini-break from work, I trudge along, do a couple of the things on my Must-Do List, then hit the bank.  After all, I cannot survive the entire weekend on the $6 left in my wallet.

When I pull up to the bank at 3:30, I am thankful that the parking lot is almost empty.  This will be a quick errand -- in and out with moola in no time.  I pull into a front-row space, am just about to open my car door, and I notice the sign.  "CLOSED."

Sonofabitch.  Even the bankers left early for the weekend.

Luckily, the drive-up is still open, so I bang a uey in the lot, head back around, and get into the open lane.  Before long, my $200 is on its way back to me through the tubular express system.  But, when I open the envelope, the teller has slipped me two one-hundred dollar bills.

What in the Hell am I supposed to do with this shit?  Have the gas station break them?  Is CVS going to give me change for a c-note when I buy a pack of Life Savers?

I hit the Teller Call Button.  "Uhhhh ... hello?  Ummmmm ... I can't really spend these bills.  The money is going different places.  Hello?  HELLO?"  A few minutes later, I have a handful of twenties and am prepped for the weekend.  I have a stash of cash for gas, a stash of cash for food, a stash of cash for refreshments, and a stash of cash for travel.

Finally, around 4:15, I make it home from my day.  It seems like everyone else in the world has already been released for the weekend.  This includes my son, whose car is already in the driveway.  That's okay.  We get an early start on dinner, and he'll get an early start going away for four days.  Yes, four.  He has Tuesday off, as well.

I may have missed the green flag at work, but I see the checkered flag at home.  Let the weekend races begin.