Tuesday, September 5, 2017

PEPTO-BISMOL TIME OF YEAR

Argh.  Night-Before-School agida starts the morning before Day #1.  Yup, the whole entire day long the stomach lets me know school is starting.  That tight-fisted grip in the center of my belly curls itself up into a tiny spiral of anxiety.

I have found multiple mistakes in my kiddos' schedules just comparing lists as I get my rosters set up.  Great.  I already color-coded stickers for their desks.  There's $6 out the frigging window.  I might as well have just opened the car door and started tossing money behind me as I drove away from Staples.  It would've produced the same effect.

I met some of the students during the Walk-About last week.  Oh, it was a hoot and a half, I tell ya.  One girl stage-whispered to her mother while leaving my classroom, "I like this teacher already."

I yelled back, "Oh, don't worry.  That won't last!"

I know what tonight will bring.  Tonight, the night before Teachers Return to School Day, I will toss and turn and maybe have a nightmare or two, and I'll probably show up to work with my hair in a tizzy.  Then, Day #1 of Show Time, which happens the following day, I will be unable to sleep through the night, and I'll show up to school with jets on my heels and bags under my eyes.

By Friday, I will look like someone purposefully slammed my face into a wall of concrete blocks.

There you have it.  Parents think kids are the only ones who suffer with Back-To-School anxiety.  You are wrong, so wrong.  So, if it seems like your children's teachers are walking zombies or hyper mental cases the first few days, cut us some slack.  Don't call us, email us, or meet with us until at least the first week has passed. 

Which reminds me: the parents with whom I have a meeting this Friday afternoon?  I apologize in advance.  I'll take notes and nod appropriately, but I have to be honest with you; I am not going to be able to recall a damn thing you tell me.  I'll be comatose by then.

September.  School.  The most Pepto-Bismol time of year.  Welcome back, everybody.