Thursday, September 14, 2017

GETTING THE LAST OUT OF SUMMER - PART THREE

First of all, it's damn depressing that summer has decided to actually be here once I return to school.  Thanks for that, summer; just thanks.  Second of all, it's damn depressing that the weekend isn't supposed to be as decent as it is during the week (of course).  However, I am still managing to pull summer out of my ass.

I have been wearing summery dresses to work, wearing sandals, and wearing light sweaters even though in the morning it's more like thick jacket weather.  Yes, the heat is on in the car going to work, and the air conditioner is on in the car coming home.  Today, I even turned on the air conditioners in the house for a while.

With all the struggling to wring the neck of summer until there's very little left (maybe a touch for Indian Summer -- no, that's not racist; that's what it's called -- in the dead of winter would be nice), it's heartening to see a little bit of it in return.  Yes, even though the neighbor's maple tree has been dumping dead leaves on my car and patio all summer, there is a ray of hope in the dwindling season.

My gardenia plant is blossoming.

My son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter sent me a gardenia plant for Mother's Day.  Too late for spring blossoms, I've attempted to care for the plant all summer long, knowing full-well that I'll probably kill it through no fault of my own.  I am cursed when it comes to plants.

To my surprise, the plant sprung a blossom about two weeks ago.  I was so excited that I pretty much texted every person I knew to tell all of them.  Today, though ... today, fall blossom number 2 makes an appearance. 

I know, I know; autumn blossoms don't really count, but it is still technically summer, and I did tend to the plant all season. I should think this qualifies.

So, ladies and gents and anyone else in between or beyond, I now present to you: Heliand, Plant Whisperer!  Blossom #2! Sure, it may be its fall blossoming, but it reminds me of summer, and I already miss summer, even though, technically, it's still here but gone.  Gardenia blossom, you beautiful little open bud of sunshine, YOU are my summer extension #3.