Monday, September 11, 2017

PEACE, QUIET, AND WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE

Generally speaking, I prefer peace and quiet.

Today there is a fair in the center of town.  It's not the kind of fair that rivals a real fair; it's more of a mini street fair with some stuff to buy, some stuff to eat, some music to listen to, and lots of companies and groups handing out flyers and hosting booths.  At the far end of the street fair is the farmer's market, which, compared to real farmers' markets, is also rather tame, but, considering the crowds, is just the right size.  In the middle of it all are rides for kids, and there are people dressed up as princesses handing out trinkets to children.

I don't like crowds.  This is really no secret to anyone who knows me.  I tolerate crowded situations, but my aversion really stems from the fact that I hate most people, so being among multitudes of them makes my skin crawl.  However, I am on a quest for local honey, so I must face my fears and make my way through the street fair, from one end to the other.

I have great hopes for myself.  I even have a pocket full of money.  Okay, not full, but I have $100 with me, and I have honest intentions to stop and peruse some of the stuff for sale as I go by.  I start at the end of the fair where the giant stage is, but, instead of music, politicians are speaking.  Ugh.  Boring.  Save me.

I pass the first table, a flea sale of used items.  I am trying to get rid of stuff, not add to it, so I walk by.  Next up is a booth of fur coats and stoles.  I have only walked about ten feet into the fair, and I am already picking up speed.

Slow down, feet.  Slow down.

I weave from one side of the street to the other in an attempt to avoid people handing things out and wanting to talk.  I pass free pens and free food samples and free cards, and realize that I am halfway through the street fair, and I haven't stopped anywhere.  I also realize that I am halfway through the street fair, and miraculously I have not run into a single person I know.

I see people in martial arts uniforms: karate, tae kwan do.  I am a judo girl myself, so I don't stop for these booths, either.  Suddenly, a tall man is in the street, and two teenaged girls cut in front of me to get to him.  Is he a pop star?  A famous actor?  Someone I should know?  I stop and for the first time today make eye contact with a human.  The man smiles and hands me a plastic bag with something inside of it and says cheerily, "Free fidget spinners!"

The girls grab them and hoot and holler.  I back away as if the man has suddenly slapped me.  "Oh, God NO!" I reply.  "I'm a teacher.  I HATE those things."

I have almost completely run the gauntlet when I see my daughter and her neighbor.  They are walking from their apartments right near the farmer's market end of the street fair.  "What's down there?" they ask me, seeing as I have emerged from the thick mass of wall-to-wall people.

"Fidget spinners," I tell them, as if that is the only thing there in the throng of booths and demonstrations and music and food.

We hit the farmer's market, buy some sunflowers, taste some wine, and finish my quest, the quest that brought me here in the first place: local honey.  Before I head home (not through the gauntlet this time -- I will take a short cut past the empty book store building), I wander over to my daughter's street where the neighborhood is having a mini-impromptu party in honor of the street fair.  The sunflowers are now decorative lawn art, there are snacks and refreshments for all ages, and I enjoy a mimosa.

I'm really sorry, street fair.  I tried.  I did make it through the crowds, and I did make it from one end of the fair to the other without swearing, pushing, screaming, nor hyperventilating.  People and I?  We don't get along, and that's the truth.  Two hours later I take my honey, cut through the far parking lot, and mosey home, sneaking through the cemetery to take a picture through the trees of my house.

I apologize to friends and acquaintances at the street fair who, by all social media posts, have a wonderful time, but I just can't do crowds.  I run the gauntlet, I get my local honey, and I enjoy the mini block party, but I am really, truly, honestly happy when the music and noise and chatter fades behind me about a block from my house.  I take a deep breath and listen ... to the peace and quiet.