Saturday, September 2, 2017

DAY #1 AND KARMA MAILS IT IN


This is it, folks.  T-minus-three.  Blast-off. Three more days until a new school year starts. 

It sort of started already.  I've been to school enough times to do some copying, straighten out my closets, figure out the new electronic grade book enough to do the first day's attendance, attend three meetings, and get some department paperwork done.  Oh, yes, and I've met some students and parents.

My room is as ready as it is going to be for Wednesday.

There is some payback, though. 

I work with two women who are actually shorter than I am.  This is amazing since I am reasonably short at what the nurse told me this summer is five-feet-two-and-one-half-inches tall.  One of the women, affectionately referred to as "BITCH," has always had a mailbox too high for her to reach.  She had to have a step-stool brought in just so she could reach the cubby.  I enjoyed many mornings of teasing her short self about it.

For two years at our old school, my mailbox was near the top, and I would step onto the "you're about to be in major trouble and probably suspended" kids' bench in the main office just to reach my mail.  For the past two years, that honor has belonged to my height-challenged co-worker.  Of course, we've hired some newbies and lost some oldies, so when I go to check my mail after the summer, I discover that karma hates me all over again.

My mailbox is at the top of the wooden structure ... and I cannot reach it.

I'm sure my BITCH pal will think it is hilarious, especially since she no longer needs a fireman's ladder just to reach her mail.  It's okay; I've done this before.  It's also okay because mail can and will wait as necessary.  Students will not wait; the new school year will not wait.

It's okay, though.  My room is as ready as I can manage for now.  Let's hope Day #1 goes a little smoother than my mail retrieval.