Tuesday, August 25, 2015

PURGING MODE



(The Master Card File -- Purged)
I am in purging mode. 

It started at work in the spring – dump stuff, get rid of things, eliminate old curriculum we’ll never do again ever.  Unfortunately, with the move to the new school and the tendency for stuff to disappear from our desks and file cabinets, I had to bring a shitload of stuff home with me or risk losing a little too many of my possessions.

My house, small as it is, is stuffed past its gills with more crap as these already cramped quarters absorb my work life for the summer.  I need to get control of something.  I need to get something organized and managed before my head explodes.

VHS.  Yup, this will be my pet project for the day.  I am going to organize and purge the rest of the old VHS tapes that have been amassing since somewhere around 1980. 

I have a lot of tapes with everything from Civil War documentaries to a Blues Clues marathon. I also have a decent collection of VHS tapes that I picked up for pennies when the local video store shut down and when Blockbuster went under.  I have two copies of The Mummy and several unopened, never viewed films like The Thirteenth Warrior.  I have some well-worn videos, too, like The Incredible Journey and old episodes of the Disney Channel show Avonlea. 

Purge.  Purge the lot of it.  Gone, gone, gone.

There are several tapes with nothing written on the cases, just the silver Sharpie “R,” which means “record over these.”  I check them, anyway.  Decades old NCAA lacrosse championship game, old episodes of ER and Mad Men, and lots of crazy old cartoons like Action Man.  I get to the last unmarked video tape and almost toss it without checking it.  Turns out to be one of my kiddos’ sports tapes from high school.  I mark it, put it into a cardboard case, and place it on the sparse “save” pile.

When it’s all said and done, I purge five paper grocery bags full of videos.  I double bag them in plastic and haul them out to the sidewalk for the trash men.  If anyone is dying to get themselves a used copy of the Marx Brothers movie The Cocoanuts or two recorded versions of Todd Browning’s Freaks, you’re welcome to the bags.  You might find a couple of episodes of Sewing With Nancy and some exercise videos as bonuses. 

Get here early, though.  The trash is picked up around 11:00 a.m.