Thursday, August 20, 2015

LUCKY DAY

I am having phenomenally good luck today. 

My doctor's appointment is better news than I ever thought it could be, and my bizarro throat infection has almost completely healed.  I get to the grocery store, do not get accosted by a single weirdo, a baby actually smiles at me (they usually cry or spit up), I find everything on my list, and there is no line at the check-out.  I have to head over to the cable company to switch out some equipment that shit the bed Monday, so I am anticipating a long, terrible wait with a bunch of stinky, sweaty people as we swelter outside in a line that will probably snake around the parking lot in this horrid heatwave; yet there is no line, no wait, no trauma, and I am in and out of the cable office in less than three minutes.

I decide to push my good luck.  Today is the day I figure out if both modular kayaks will fit into my car, and if I will be able to take a passenger with me so we can both go kayaking together.

Remember my kayak debacle?  Instead of ordering the kayak through the actual dealer, I went through a distributor, and the kayak, though sea-worthy, arrived with a random factory hole in its hull.  The actual company, Snap Kayak, immediately sent me a replacement hull, and they could not have been more attentive nor more professional (nor more horrified).  Excellent customer service and support from start to finish.  Well, I decided to repair the first hull, and I ordered a second rear piece.  As a result, I have two kayaks.

So, folks, now that we are all on the same page, I give you my pictorial blog.

Two kayaks assembled in the den, ready for water

Factory defect is no match for Goop + Plastic

And, just to be sure, more Goop and some duct tape to match

Okay, everything's on the patio.  Let's see if we can fit these clowns in the clown car.

Hmmmm.  At this point, I think the front passenger seat might get involved. I am wrong, though.

Piece #1 = In successfully

Piece #2, and I haven't yet breached the center line.  Life is good.

It is now obvious that both kayaks will fit easily.

And so they do!  But, my rearview mirror is blocked.  Bad for backing into a shoreline area.

I start moving the kayaks around.  Yup.  I can put one sideways and one flat.  Perfect.

Hey, maybe they'll both fit flat.  Three out of four, and ...

Success!  With room to spare for oars, gear, and a cooler.

Yup. everything fits perfectly!  It's my lucky day!  Now, to get rid of that old SSU sticker...
 It truly IS my LUCKY DAY.  If I can just recover enough from being sick and from the effects of the meds, maybe I can actually get both kayaks IN the water instead of just on the den floor and in the back of the Caliber.  More pictures forthcoming, folks.