Monday, August 10, 2015

GROWING SOMETHING OTHER THAN MOLD

I'm going to try to grow something other than mold.

I have managed to keep a houseplant (Pothos?) alive for well over a decade.  I finally repotted the poor thing into a better pot and gave it some fresh soil.  I also rooted a piece that was too long and added that to the container.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

During the horrid heat that we had recently, I damn-near killed the impatiens plant my son and daughter-in-law gave me.  I gave the wilted thing some plant food and lots of water and love, and it rebounded better than ever.  I felt (and still do feel) awful, like I neglected a member of my family.  I sat and talked to the plant for a while, apologizing for allowing it to get overly dehydrated in the summer sun.

I have a palm tree plant that I rescued from the clearance section of Wal-Mart last summer.  It was a sad little baby, much like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  I didn't have a decent pot for it, so I dragged out my deceased cat's old litter box.  I replanted it into this larger container, never expecting the little tree to survive the summer.  When it rallied, I brought it into my living room for the winter, a room that gets a decent amount of sunshine especially in the afternoon, again never expecting my little palm to make it to Spring alive.  I am pleased to report that the palm tree has sprung at least four new fronds this summer.  I am displeased to report that the plant is still in Dodger's old litter box.

A friend gave me some cuttings from her remarkable basil plant.  I tried rooting it in
water as per her instructions, and I even looked online so I knew to keep changing the water.  Just when I thought there was no hope, the dang cuttings started sprouting little roots.  Within two days of the first sparks of success, the basil had enough sprouts to put into soil.  I planted the cuttings today and moved them outside to get some fresh air and sunlight.

I'm hoping for something other than mold.  If it works, next summer I might even branch out to vegetables.  Who knows?  As long as I remember to water and weed, success may actually be in my future.