Monday, August 17, 2015

LIFE IS A PILL



Pain medication is dangerous.  I should know; I’ve had a pill stuck in my throat for three hours now.

I have been sick for five days with some kind of infection between my left ear and tonsil, but this morning I awake to screaming pain in my jaw bone.  This means one of two things:  Either an infected tooth is causing all of my problems, or I am suffering with some severe deferred pain since I slept on that side all night.

No problem.  I’ll just pop some OTC pain meds.  Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.  Gel cap acetaminophen or coated ibuprofen tablet.  Which one … which one …

I decide on the ibuprofen.  I mean, it’s coated, right?  No problem.

It hurts to swallow (because of the whole swollen tonsil thing), so I chug down water first to wet my throat and then chug more water with the pill.  This is all fine and good until …

Uh-oh.  Oh, no.  Shit.  What do I do?  I’m all alone.  Do I text a friend?  Dial 911?  Stagger to a neighbor’s house?

Sonofabitch, the goddamn little bastard of a pill is glued to the right side of my throat.

It doesn’t take long for the gag reflex to kick in, but no matter how much bile comes up, that sucker is not moving.  I realize that if I am hurling, that means I am breathing.  The pill is stuck in my throat, but I can still take in air and I can still swallow, and everything up and down appears to be functioning as fluids are going both directions between my stomach and my mouth.

For three hours the pill and I fight with each other.  I drink a gallon of water, I drink hot tea, I eat applesauce.  I even try the trick of drinking water while lying flat, which makes me puke enough to get the pill to the back of my throat, but there is nothing on this earth that will force that pill back up into my mouth.  Not gagging, not forceful couching, not even the Heimlich Maneuver.  That sucker does not want to see daylight again.

I start looking up how long it takes for ibuprofen to dissolve.  Fifteen minutes.  Fifteen minutes?  Are you fucking shitting me?  It has already been hours.  What the hell is this thing coated with?  Steel? 

I start thinking about the prescription I need to take.  Holy shit, there is NO WAY I’m attempting to swallow another pill right now.  I continue examining my dilemma while searching the Internet for more suggestions.  I contact my daughter the nurse, and she runs through the list of things I’ve tried.  “Eat bread,” she suggests.  Sure, the bread goes down, but the pill just keeps moving up and down my throat like a worm.   

To make matters worse, now that I’ve pounded down all that water, I keep having to run to the bathroom to pee like a teenager drinking beer.

In my cyber search, I start coming across tales of great success dislodging pills from throats.  I mean, really, the thing should be dissolved already, especially with all that acidy shit flying back up the pipes, and since it’s a reasonably determined little pill, I have faith that it will eventually go where it needs to go.  But, I also see stories of epic failure, like to woman who had a pill stuck in her tonsil for three days.  THREE DAYS?!  She said she could SEE IT STUCK THERE but she couldn’t dislodge it with her fingers.  This story in and of itself sets my head back into the bucket.  Alas, the pill will not finish its upward (nor downward) journey.

All of these fixes later, I am starting to feel like possibly the pill has moved on.  I’m not sure because now my entire throat is sore like I’ve damaged my esophagus, and I still feel the dull need to puke, though it’s probably more from anxiety than from actual physical need.  I mean, seriously.  It has been more than 210 minutes of disaster.  The stupid pill cannot possibly still be alive, right?

Unbelievable.  All the crazy-ass things I’ve done in my life, all the unintelligent situations in which I have found myself, all the weird-ass diseases and conditions I seem to get (Bell’s Palsy … anyone else?), all the dangerous people I’ve managed to piss off, and it all comes down to this?  OTC ibuprofen?

What will my tombstone say?  She was a pain to all until pain finally did her in.  Thank God for store-brand pain relievers.  May she rest in pieces.

Oh, yeah.  I’m going to be cremated.  Never mind.  Just be careful sifting through the ashes.  I’ll bet good money that fucking ibuprofen will be still intact.