Friday, August 28, 2015

NO SUMMER LEFT


Opened the windows hoping for relief.
A little bit of air movement, however it was brief.
Now I'm trying not to sweat, I'm trying all I can,
But honestly there's not much help from this tiny fan.

According to the calendar the summer has to end.
Even though we're starting school, the mercury won't bend.
I don't want to stand up in this heat and try to teach
Because my brain will still be lounging back upon the beach.

Finally this fall I do not have a kid in school --
It's kind of strange to skip the shopping malls and all that gruel.
I find it hard to break routine of backpacks, books, and tears.
After all, I raised school kids for twenty-five long years.

Now I sit and swelter as my mind pretends it's fall.
Humidity is lower but I cannot tell at all.
I'm packing boxes for my class - there's so much I must heft.
I can't believe there is no more vacation summer left.

Okay, children, better get yourselves all packed and set.
I am the meanest teacher probably that you have met,
And if you don't believe me, I'll say those words so cruel:
Set your clocks and set your clothes 'cause, kids, it's time for SCHOOL.