Sunday, August 23, 2015

NO RAIN ON THE RADAR

Hahahahaha.  I laugh in the face of weather forecasters.  I chuckle at the nimbostratus clouds hanging gray in the sky. I don't care if it rains on me; I'm going to get wet, anyway.  I'm willing to take my chances.  Radar says no rain.  I repeat, no rain on the radar!

I'm going kayaking.

Two gal pals and I head for the mighty Merrimack River, capturing our coveted spot right at the make-shift landing behind the plumbing supply store. Today the launch is very slippery, covered with a slimy film that almost knocks us all on our asses, but we persevere, scaring the crap out of the young man sitting on shore.  He keeps trying to help us, but we insist that we must do this ourselves.  It is a steep entry, steeper than we can manage safely, but we're in the kayaks quickly, and no one falls in the river.

Damn good thing, too, because we are in full view of a crowded restaurant patio.

A couple of times we are unsure if the weather is going to turn.  A coolish breeze keeps us from sweating too profusely as we paddle a mile and a half, probably more, easily and effortlessly.  One of my friends finds a hidden pond off to the side.  We follow her through the low-hanging trees but stay on the edge, watching her paddle full-on to the other side.  When we see a giant wire in the water, we decide it's time to high-tail it out of the hidden inlet, my pal dragging marine animals and a small snake with her as she rushes to rejoin us on the open water.

We make our way to the highway pylons.  I wonder out loud how many people are driving along the overpass at a mere 70 mph and wondering what it would be like to be us?  I know that when I cross the river n my car, I search for boats in the water, longingly day-dreaming about being down there with them. 

Today, I live the daydream. 

For the most part, the river is ours, and I think there must not be anywhere else in the world I'd rather be.  Best of all, the sun breaks out within a few minutes and stays shining in the newly blue sky.