Friday, August 7, 2015

LONE PADDLER



My new kayak is the bomb. 

A modular design, I split it in half to cart it around since it fits right into my car.  To put it together, I maneuver the two parts together, feed the connecting flap through on either side, lift the back of the kayak ever-so gently, and tighten the clamps.  The whole process takes about thirty seconds on either end of the trip.

I have only used the new kayak twice: once when my son came with me and helped go through the motions and test its seaworthiness on a local pond, and once when I met friends and took the kayak out on the mighty Merrimack River.

Today, I am determined to do this alone.  After all, I have every intention of kayaking some afternoons after work (I pass the pond with easy access every day on my way home). 

I am relieved when I arrive in the dirt lot along the pond to find one empty car and a guy sitting on a motorcycle.  No matter if I look like an idiot trying to do this by myself; only one or two people will witness my shame and embarrassment.

Turns out my limited practice has paid off.  I only worry when I see the two-foot drop I have to conquer, and I do this easily since the kayak must be in two pieces for transport.  Once I have the pieces down to the water, they fit together quickly.  I grab my sunglasses, the paddles, put on my funky and incredibly old water shoes, zip my car key into the waterproof pouch I have attached to my life vest, then zip myself into the life vest.

Holy crap.  Within minutes I’m ready to go.  I cannot believe nothing has gone wrong yet.

I don’t even make an ass out of myself when I push off and drag my sopping wet feet into the kayak with me.  I start out keeping close to shore and within sight of the small area where I put in, but this is not the confidence booster for which I am searching.  I paddle on and start exploring all the coves and open areas of the pond, which is pretty big, to be honest.  I see a lone fisherman on shore, presumably the lone car owner, and am exhilarated to be the only paddler out on the pond today. 

I truly am all alone.

It takes me forty-five minutes to complete my exploration of the open water and around the islands, finding places to stop and drag the kayak up if I ever decide to come out here with others and eat lunch in the middle of the trip.  By now the parking lot is filling up with people walking the trails, more fishermen and families, and one more kayaker.  It’s unfathomable to me that more people are not out here on such a wonderful day.

I steer into the sandy area where I put the kayak in, reversing the entire procedure and having no problem taking the kayak apart, which shocks me since it gave me a bit of trouble in its maiden voyage.  Three minutes later, I am packed up and ready to leave.

This is day three of this kayak’s grand adventures and only the fourth time I’ve ever kayaked in my life.  I’m not an expert by any means, but I feel a sense of accomplishment and independence knowing that I can do this all by myself – I don’t dump it, I don’t break it, I don’t lose anything, I don’t get soaked, I don’t have any trouble with the general management of the trip, and, most importantly, I don’t look like a total asshole.

Just when I’m feeling somewhat smug and confident, I hear a song rolling around in my head.  It’s a commercial jingle for pull-up diapers of all damn things:  I’m a big girl now!

Oh, well.  So the only humiliation today is internal.  I can deal with that.