Saturday, August 1, 2015

BARBIE, QUEEN OF THE PROM

My sister is here visiting.  We are supposed to participate in a fundraiser tomorrow, a Mud Run, but it has been cancelled, so we are planning an adventure, instead.  While planning our adventure, we are keeping ourselves occupied with activities like long walks in the sweltering heat, Cribbage, Gin Rummy, and board games.

Yes, board games.  Old, old board games.

We decide to play the original Barbie, Queen of the Prom game.  For anyone unfamiliar, in order to win the game, we must collect cards about dresses, school clubs, and, of course, boyfriends.  I want Poindexter, but I keep landing on Ken.  Oh, that sounds dirty a little bit, doesn't it?  Several rounds later, I still have not managed to go steady with Poindexter, but I have cheated on Ken with Bob and Tom.  Apparently, my Barbie is a hussy.

Once we have exhausted make-believe Barbie dress shopping, we move up a level to a slightly more recent (but still old) electronic board game called Mall Madness.  My sister keeps winning because she has always been a superior shopper compared to me.  Even the game reaches its limit with her when every time her
cardboard credit card hits the money slot, the machine yells, "THE BANK IS CLOSED!!!!"  I, of course, am rewarded $75 for my pathetic efforts whenever my card hits the same slot; the bank feels sorry for people like me who are shopping-challenged.

In the end, I do reasonably well at the card games, but my sister totally kicks my ass at the board games ... the old, old board games.  I believe it's because she is OLD-er.

That's my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking with it.