Tuesday, June 16, 2015

WHY TAKING ONLINE QUIZZES CAN BE BAD

Sometimes I dream about owning my own house and having a couple of dogs and cats everywhere.  And sometimes I dream about driving a Ferrari and living alone in a condo by the New England Aquarium.

This I know: If and when I'm ready for a dog, it will probably be a terrier of some kind, something mid-sized, scruffy, with some personality.

For shits and giggles, I decide to take an online test about what kind of terrier I should own.

My mind swirls with the possibilities as each question passes.  What will I get?  Will I get a Jack Russell (not really my style but playful and stubborn)?  Wire Fox terrier - fearless and intelligent?  Airedale, a mix of which my beloved childhood dog was?  Maybe the affectionate and strangely coiffed Dandie Dinmont?  Maybe I'll be lucky and paired with a Manchester terrier!

I wait -- the computer is slow tonight ... calculating ... calculating ... and I come up with ...

Pit Bull.  Pit Bull?  Seriously?  But ... but ... my house is too small!  Even in my dreams, my dream house is too small.  A Pit Bull would hog the couch and the bed and the floor.  Unfortunately, in my neck of the too-urban world, some adoptable Pitties generally are not trained to be friendly.  That's not prejudicial thinking; that's "I live near Lawrence, Massachusetts" fact.

No, no, no.  Maybe just a regular Bull terrier like Don Cherry had when "Blue" was gifted to him by the Boston Bruins.  That's much more my style. 

As if this isn't horrifying enough, I take a general dog test and end up with the dreaded Bichon Frise, dreaded because an ex-pal had one that smelled something fierce and would always choose me upon whom to jump and sit.  Always.  Me.  No.  Just no.

Well, that settles it, then.  When I decide to get another pet, I'm buying a turtle and naming it Yertle.  The end.