Monday, June 8, 2015

CLOSET TENSION

We have no closets.

Seriously, I live in a very old house, and the closet space in here is about equal to a large shoebox.  Years ago I took my tiny closet and added a second short closet pole in the back space under the eaves.  I remember it as being a relatively easy fix, so when my youngest starts hiding his clothes in my tiny closet, I realize that he must need some extra space to hang stuff, too.

This is where I get my brilliant idea.  There is a space in his room, a miniature alcove about a foot deep and about four feet wide, that runs between one of his windows and the brick chimney.  The chimney is covered in drywall, so I figure that it may well hold a few screws.  Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to rig up a tension rod in the space and secure it with closet pole end slots.  Voila!  More room to hang stuff.

Oh, sure, it's kind of out in the open, but if he hangs cool stuff on it like Bruins jerseys and all of his soccer shirts (he has an amazing collection), it will be more of a showpiece than extra open-air closet space.

First I measure off the space with a hanger to make sure this idea is even going to work.  Then I measure the space for the closet pole slots.  I get the pole slots with three screws rather than one so I know the contraption will be secure.  I carefully drill starter holes for the screws, hoping and praying that I have enough drywall board between my plan and the bricks inside the wall.

Success!

I only lose one screw down behind the wire storage unit underneath where I am working, but I bought an extra set of brackets and screws.  I get the end slots into the wall then open the tension rod only to discover that the rubberized ends are too wide for the slots on the wall.  One rubber end pops off.  (The girl at Home Depot assured me the ends are removable.)  It slides right into place and fits just fine.

The other end?  Not so easy.  I try tugging it, twisting it, using the heavy duty pliers on it.  I even try sawing down the ribber lip with a hacksaw.  Finally, I take the giant pliers and snap the end right off.

Perfect!

I untwist the tension rod to the correct size, pop it into place, hang a couple of things on the pole for show, and everything seems to be in place.  Of course, son is not home to help nor to start rearranging his stuff, but, if he doesn't have it all organized in a day or two, I'll fill that sucker right up with everything he thinks he is hiding in my tiny closet.