Thursday, June 4, 2015

BLAME THE SWEET AND SOUR PORK

I have to cut off my long fingernails tonight.

No, I didn't scratch anyone, nor did I rip off one nail therefore making the others look stupid.  The nail polish still looks great, and each nail has been freshly filed.

First, let me say that I am not attached to my fingernails except in the completely physical sense.  I am not one who yearns for long, delectable nails.  As a matter of fact, I find the entire manicure process to be exceptionally torturous.  Pedicures are even worse.  I will give up State secrets if necessary when someone tries to give me a pedicure.

Secondly, I have no particular fetish about painting my fingernails.  My daughter loves having new and different designs etched into her nails.  This is how much I care when I paint my nails:  I seal them immediately with PAM cooking spray so maybe the polish won't peel off within minutes.

Tonight, though, these suckers are going.  I am finding it hard to type, and I do love my computer, so something has to go: keyboard or nails. 

Okay, that's the truth, but it's also a lie.  There is one true reason why I decide that tonight is the night my beautifully long, painted, decorated nails have to go.  You see, today is a half day, and, prior to our afternoon of meetings, we have ordered Chinese food from a nearby restaurant.  I would love to eat my meal, truly and honestly, and it looks delicious sitting there in its airtight container while I wedge one nail then another then another yet around the corners.

I cannot open my lunch.

No matter how hard I try, every time I snap up one corner with a fingernail, a different corner seals itself like model cement.  My colleagues have to open my lunch for me like I'm in elementary school.

Blame the Chinese food; it's why I cut my nails off.  If it weren't for sweet and sour pork, I'd still be able to scratch out your eyes.