Saturday, June 6, 2015

BACK IS OUT



I have the best of intentions to participate in a short walk in Boston.  It’s a fundraiser, and I intended to go in with a couple of friends and meet a couple more while I’m there.

Unfortunately, we have all been hit with the Grippe, a plague-like disease that strikes without warning then hangs around for as long as it damn well pleases.

One friend has been battling this thing longer than I have, and she suffers a setback Thursday that knocks her flat on her ass and requires Z-Pack antibiotics to get her functioning again.  My second friend works with two families both hit with the stomach flu, which means, of course, that she gets the stomach flu.

I am in pneumonia recovery mode (or so I hope), yet continue to have long bouts of non-productive coughing fits.  Last night while sleeping, I woke up twice with my back frozen and wrenched into place.  My back still isn’t right, and leaning over feels like I’m carving disks out of my spine with a dull sickle blade.

As I suck down liquid gel tablets of Naproxen and set up the pillows to simulate a hospital bed so maybe I can roll out of it when necessary, I have to wonder: Driving to the T station, walking to the subway tracks, sitting on a rickety train car, walking some more to change trains, being on rickety train #2, milling around Boston Common, doing the actual walk, then repeating the process in reverse – Is this going to be the sanest idea I’ve had all week?

Lord knows it would be the most fun I’ve had in a while.  Fun, that is, if I could convince myself that I wouldn’t throw out my back again through all of this.  Or hack up a lung.  Or develop another inexplicable but relatively hefty (102+ degrees) fever.

Let’s get two things straight:

#1 – I HATE being sick.  HATE.  My family hates it.  My neighbors hate it.  My coworkers hate it.  I am like the Masque of Red Death because wherever I go at work, people move far away and avoid eye contact hoping to ward off pestilence and disease.

#2 – I LOVE walking.  LOVE.  Although the treadmill bores the crap out of me, I enjoy walking outside, crisscrossing my route over and over again and exploring new areas within a three-mile radius from my house.

Right now, judging from the wait for the meds to kick in, I doubt I’ll be in walking form tomorrow, or, at least, not in riding the T/walking form.  We shall see how I feel when the dawn breaks (and my back doesn’t).