Sunday, June 21, 2015

BLAME IT ON THE ANT



I decide to sit outside this morning and finish a book I’ve been tearing through about George Washington’s secret spy ring.  The weather is overcast, I have a fleece zipped up to my chin like Mort from Bazooka Joe’s gang, and I am seriously considering grabbing a blanket from inside the house.

Just as I am finishing the book, the sun breaks out from the cloud cover, and the temperature soars about twelve degrees.  Perfect!  I’m going to break in my new beach chair right here on the patio.  It’s a sand chair that reclines completely so I can lie down on my back or my stomach with equal comfort.

I change into shorts and a bathing suit top, grab some new reading material (magazines), and head back outside.  I start on my stomach, giving my back a nice roast.  While trying to get settled and read, ants start marching by, some carrying booty (dead moth, another dead ant, etc.) and some just for the hell of it. 

This one big-ass black ant keeps getting too close to my magazine, so I flick him about three feet to the right.  He shakes that off, rights himself, and marches straight back at me. 

I flick him again, and he sails to the left.  He repeats his recovery maneuver and then repeats his forward charge.  Flick.  Charge.  Flick!  Charge!  FLICK!!!  CHARGE!!!

At this point, I am seriously considering whacking the little fucker with a flip flop, but I am too lazy to actually sit up, lean back, and get the flip flop to use as a weapon.  I am honestly surprised that after so many mega-flicks, the little bastard is still crawling around.  He makes one last effort to enter my personal space.  The shadow of my fist tips him off, and he scampers out of my reach and along the edge of the house foundation. 

By this time, thirty minutes have passed and it’s time to turn over and roast the other side of my body.  Ten minutes later the sun goes back in and the temperature drops a little bit.  Then the sun comes back out.  Then it goes back in.  The sun and I play this little game for about thirty more minutes, the sun mostly winning as it spends more time behind gray-black rain clouds than it does in the occasional blue sky.

I think it’s the ant’s fault.  He must’ve tattled to Mother Nature about what a big bully I am.  I don’t recall Mort being a bully in the Bazooka Joe bubble gum comics, so I put my fleece back on and zip it back up high once more, but to no avail.  The day has clouded over and rain is in the forecast.

Thanks, ant.  You might work all day long, but today is my day off.  Thanks for ruining it.  Little fucker.