Friday, June 5, 2015

RACING THE BINS



We’re moving our school again.  We moved from our middle school to the old high school last June, but this has been a temporary assignment.  Too bad, because I don’t mind the old building – it’s all cinderblock and asbestos. Okay, so the windows don’t open and shut without needing weightlifters to help, and the nearest faculty bathroom is in New Jersey, but still.  It’s really not that awful.

(last year's bins - ready to go)
This June, we move back to the refurbished middle school; hopefully, our last move for a while.

I start the packing process in earnest.  My class novels go into boxes, and the boxes go into bins, which are really crates on wheels.  I am going to need more than the standard four crates.  Lots more.  Like twenty more.  So, this morning I grab myself another batch of four bins/crates on wheels and push them up the ramps to my classroom.

Naturally, I am tempted to jump into the crates and ride them right down the three ramps.  I mean, it’s a clear shot all the way down four floor’s worth of distance.

Oh, but there are surveillance cameras everywhere.  I know this because I think the principal saw me whip a pencil eraser at my co-teacher in the hallway, and the eraser bounced off her ass and flew another fifteen feet through the air.  Yup, I’m pretty sure that was caught on camera and part of the tape that was reviewed due to a student-related issue from later in the film loop.

“Oh, look, there’s that student, and … wait … what the hell was that?  Did Heliand just assault that teacher?  Holy crap!  What an arm!  Perfect aim.  We need her on our faculty softball team…”

Later on, a second co-teacher approaches me and notices I have more moving crates on wheels tucked away in my room.  “Aren’t you just tempted to ride in a bin down the ramps?”

Oh.  My.  God.  I totally AM.

Something tells me that before this year is over I will probably lose my job due to either eraser assault on one teacher, as caught on camera and probably broadcast all over social media, or due to moving bin races through the ramps of the school.  Either way, I’m hoping for bail money, people, so be ready.