Wednesday, June 17, 2015

GRILLING LIKE A BOSS



I swear I must’ve been Dracula in another life because today I am craving blood.  I would like nothing more than a rare-red, juicy slab of filet mignon and a glass of dark red wine, perhaps a merlot or a malbec that has been breathing for about a day.

I know child #3 needs to leave for work almost the exact second that I get home, so stopping to buy steak tips or some other yummy chunk of beef is not an option, but I do know that I have hamburger in the fridge and gas in the grill. 

I race home and start playing Beat the Clock.

“Have you eaten lunch yet?” I ask, fully expecting the standard, “Yes, I wolfed down a sandwich ten minutes ago” answer.  Instead, I get a response I hope for but do not anticipate: He hasn’t eaten yet.  Next question:  “When do you have to leave for work?”  Answer: Forty minutes.

I start madly creating giant burgers and do a quick check of the weather radar.  Yup, some rain is on the way, but no thunder storms.  I fire up the grill without a second thought.

Halfway through the searing of the meat, it starts to rain a little bit.  I don’t mind.  It reminds me of camping in Vermont, where it rains constantly no matter what the forecast, unless I book a hotel, in which case it doesn’t rain a drop.  Set up a tarp and a tent and a grill in the mountains of Vermont, though, and it’s like teasing Mother Nature to piss all over the place.  I run inside, grab an umbrella, and continue manning the grill like a boss.

My kid strolls out the front door, possibly to assist the grilling but more probably to laugh at me with my purple umbrella, battling the flames to expedite the dining process.  We slap cheese on the mega-burgers, add them to plates with heaps of canned corn I threw into a pot on the stove in the midst of this mania, and …

Voila!  Dinner!

It may not satisfy my Dracula yearnings quite perfectly, but the grilled hamburgers are outstanding, mouth-watering, and beefy.  I skip the dark red wine but opt later for a glass (or several) of pinot noir rose recommended by some guy I was talking up at a recent wine tasting.  It’s not the filet mignon dinner of my daydreams, but it’s not every day that I leave work and have an impromptu and successful barbecue just for the hell of it.

Kiddo gets off to work on time, and I have the grill cleaned and re-covered just as the spritzing rain stops.  One hour after getting home, it’s like we never even made a mess of the kitchen and patio.  The neighbors will never know we had our own mini-party save for the wafting burger aroma permeating the entire neighborhood.

Go ahead, people; be jealous.  You should be – It is totally and completely worth the breakneck effort.