Tuesday, July 23, 2013

WHEN THE WEATHER BREAKS, AND WHY IT MIGHT AS WELL BE ME

The weather has finally broken.  It did so here with no pomp and zero circumstance.  Towns around here had some fierce storms over the weekend, but here the day is humid off and on until sunset, and then it becomes tolerable right after dinner.  I run around opening windows and turning fans on.  It still feels sticky in here, damp and humid, but the cool air feels good.

The rest of the week is supposed to be kind of iffy.  Humidity returns Tuesday and Wednesday, then less for Thursday and Friday, then back again Saturday and Sunday.  The weekend might be nice for the beach, but the rest of the week looks kind of questionable. 

Do I care?

Not a wink.

You see, this is the time of year when I can go from sedentary to on the road in less than sixty seconds.  Outdoor gear means flip flops and my car keys.  When someone says, "Meet us at trivia," I can be there in twenty minutes including a fifteen minute travel time because I don't have to spend a lot of time getting into winter gear just to go outside. 

I am still waiting for that elusive Blue Skies From Start to Finish day.  Every day either starts, ends, or is interrupted by dismal looking clouds.  I want to look up in the sky and see nothing but blue.  Nothing.  When that happens, the summer will truly be complete.

In the meantime, I'll keep myself busy sitting on the patio even if it's overcast.  I'll walk around in bare feet even if the sun hides behind clouds.  It's my Civic Summer Duty (or my Summer Civic Duty). 

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.  Might as well be me.