Thursday, July 11, 2013

THE CLOSET



I thought I could blame the dryer and child laborers for the fact that many pairs of my pants do not fit me anymore.  But today that myth is busted to oblivion.  I must in fact accept that I have relaxed my bodily dimensions, for today I tackle The Closet.

In The Closet are several items that still have tags on them.  Sad but true.  Oh, it's not too terrible because most of those items were bought on sale, so I can convince myself that even the clearance price on several items would've been marked down an additional 25%-60%.  But it is time, my friends.  It is time to accept that I will never be able to squeeze myself into those clothes again.  It is time to stop hoping and worrying and fantasizing.  It is time to stop pretending I will ever get my money's worth out of these items.

The jig is up.

I try on everything in The Closet except for the recent purchases, the ones I wear to work all the time, the ones I know fit right now.  Some of the stuff I can even zipper, but the resulting horror show is not worth the terror my wearing these items in public would cause.  I actually resemble Frankenstein in some of the stuff: arms jutting too far out of coat sleeves, belly-bulge making it difficult to tell front from back in the side view while looking in the mirror, and thighs showing a little too much from the too-short hemlines.

Oh, it's not all horrible.  Some of the stuff doesn't fit because my boobs have … well … I have had three children.  Several of the zippers simply won't accommodate my chest any more.  I am completely okay with that.  I will gladly toss a new dress into the discard pile if it's because my breasts are busting out.  That's almost worth a celebration, a dance, heck, maybe even a party.

For the most part, though, it's a little depressing to think my thinner days have come and gone.  I exercise, I eat relatively well, and I've reached a set-point (never you mind what it is).  I'm certainly not going to hit my judo-weight again, and I'm okay with that (I do still have my last gi, though, just in case).  The way I figure it, the next time I hit Skinnyville will be if something is terribly wrong with me and I end up in the ICU.  

Besides, being a little more filled out allows me to purge the old stuff and continue buying new.  After years of being in constant motion for the kids' schedules, I'm finding that my own schedule, although still hectic, is a lot more manageable.  As a matter of fact, I can wear a lot more dresses.  This is not only due to my schedule; it is also because I can wear shoes again after having a bad foot completely rebuilt.  It's really hard to wear a dress with sneakers or orthotic shoes, but my closet is rapidly becoming a designer shoes (bought on sale) warehouse.  New shoes need new clothes.  It's a wonderful circular relationship.

The major problem with The Closet is the size.  This is an old house, over 150 years old, and it used to be a carriage house.  Okay, the barn.  There are no real closets here.  I have three tiny make-believe closets that are about a foot deep and three feet wide, except one closet that is actually deep enough under the eaves to add a second bar to hang clothes.  The limited space means I need to be very picky about what I keep and what I toss.  So here I am today, just me and The Closet, battling for control of the teeny space, trying to find a way we can both get along.

The result is a bunch of small bags that will be going to the nearest bin, plus one bag of dresses in excellent shape, many with tags still on them.  I put out the All-Call today and believe I have found a taker to pass on these nice things to someone else who might enjoy them.  If not, I can at least feel better that I tried to find a decent home for the still-tagged items rather than just dumping them on Goodwill or Planet Aid (who will be recipients of winter coats and bridesmaid dresses and a tweed suit jacket that cannot cover my ape-long arms).

Today go the clothes.  Tomorrow will be the shoes.  This will be easy because all of my "before surgery shoes" are gone; the old shoes didn't fit my newly-slim foot any longer as they were all broken in to fit the Yeti foot I used to have.  But I have to organize the shoes by color, by style, and maybe even break out the leather boots that I'm scared to walk in but had to have… you know, just to be sure they still fit.  Unlike my expanding hips, my feet have slimmed down a bit.  After today's ordeal, things can only look up from there.

Watch out, Closet.  You may have had the advantage today, but tomorrow --- you're all mine.