Friday, July 5, 2013

DECORATING MY INDEPENDENCE



Roy G. Biv

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.  Trying to get the entire color palette into my house somehow. 

The rooms are small, really small, so strategically placed stuff is important, and all the walls are yellow (at least for now - I haven't nixed painting everything semi-gloss white yet).  I have some madness to my methods … or methods to my madness, as the case may be. 

For example, the small living room is all beach themed with furniture that is sand colored, light blue curtains, white sheers, and I always feel like I'm at the ocean when I'm in there. 

The den, also tiny, has some of the brown carrying over and black and orange and olive green, and it has an African animal theme (or just the zoo - the zoo works, too).  This room is more of a finished breezeway and was probably supposed to be a dining room.  Oh well.  It's not.

My son's room is all electric green and funky, and he has decorated it with sports stuff and the paper silhouette he shot the shit out of at the gun range.  He recently rearranged his room somewhat, and he has inspired me to move beyond cabinet-cleaning and get out the big guns.

I have been trying to decide what to do with the other small rooms here in the townhouse.  I keep going back and forth about themes.  One room has to be red, white, and blue because my birthday is Independence Day, and I've always been a bit of a whack-a-doodle patriot, a bit of a Constitutionalist, a semi-Sam Adams of my time.  At first I thought I might do the kitchen in star-spangled-ness.  I'd rather hang some of my black and white photos in there, though, so I'm nixing that room for the patriotic theme.

Wednesday I invested $8.  That's right, eight whole dollars.  Try to hold yourselves back from my extreme extravagance.  I bought a storage box.  It's red, white, and blue, but it's decorated with the Union Jack.  It has the right colors.  This may not seem like a big step to most people, but to me this container represents commitment.  It means I really am going to decorate, which means I really am going to sort through stuff.  It is the equivalent to cleaning out a kitchen cabinet: it's all going to steamroll and morph into much more than a minor decorating decision.

I think I need some other colors in here -- teal, purple, yellow…  I worked at the fabric store; I know about color arrangements.  It's all that container's fault, you know.  If it hadn't gone and committed itself to coming home with me, I wouldn't need to find it a home, and I wouldn't be working color selections.  In the meantime, I have planned out the red, orange, green, and blue parts of the spectrum, the ROGB of Roy G. Biv.

Now I just have to solve the one lingering question:  Do I keep cleaning out the kitchen cabinets I started, or do I move on to Union Jack's decorating?