Monday, July 8, 2013

DESPERADO NIGHTMARE



Holy crap already. 

Eleven days out of school (and many weeks before I have to go back), and I've already had The Nightmare.

If you're a teacher, you know exactly what The Nightmare is: You're back at school, in your classroom (or someone's classroom), unprepared, without curriculum, and you don't have any rosters of your classes.  In The Nightmare, I am teaching my regular classes, English, plus a math class that has some of my previous students in it.  Teaching two subjects (done it before) and two different grades at the same time (done that before, too).  But still. 

Gave me a freaking headache.

I don't know why this aggravates me.  I've walked blind into classrooms lots of times and pulled curriculum out of my ass with no problem whatsoever.  I've scrapped entire lesson plans that seemed to be crashing and burning and done something completely different and unplanned.  I've also had lightbulb moments where I expect a lesson to go one way, and I "180" it into uncharted territory just for fun.  Somehow, some way I always manage to pull it off.  This isn't something that should be giving me The Nightmare.

Teachers usually get The Nightmare a few days before school starts.  For me, that will (should) be the first day of September or so.  For some teachers it happens earlier, in August when sane people should still be on vacation.

Which brings me to another thing that fries my ass. 

Why the hell are people going back to school in August?  Seriously.  Who in their right mind does this?  Folks, this happened when I was a kid going to school in New Hampshire -- We still had so many snow days that we had to go to school until the end of June and on occasional Saturdays.  Some of my fondest memories are of Saturday school.  Sure, we had to be there, but since it wasn't a "regular school day," we made puppets and had shows and threw parties.  It was grand!

Look, I don't want to start the school year before Labor Day.  Period.  This bullshit about getting out earlier in June is just that: Bullshit.  It's too bloody hot to start school under those conditions, whereas ending it in 90+ degree heat is fine because the kids shut down after the mandated state testing, anyway.  And it just gives the superintendents more opportunity to have fake snow days, like the "hurricane" day we got because the winds topped 30 mph, which they do on a normal day, anyway.  Or calling a snow day the night before when it hasn't started snowing yet … and it never does.  It is complete and utter bullshit.

Now … now I'm getting The Nightmare around the Fourth of July.  Sonofabitch. 

Way to ruin my damn summer.  It's not like I don't know what I'm doing the first day of school; I'm doing the same damn song and dance I do every year.  As a matter of fact, this is probably the least amount of school work I've had to do out of any summer I've ever had off.  I'm usually rewriting curriculum or prepping new readings or re-inventing the wheel.  But this summer I am concentrating on me -- reading what I want to read; writing my ass off for pleasure instead of unpaid hours for the school district.

In other words, this should be The Nightmareless Summer, if anything at all.

 Perhaps that's why The Nightmare struck so early this time.  Perhaps it knows it is truly defeated, and it's attempting to manifest itself deep into my brain and cause me undue agida.  Well, I am getting the very last laugh this time, Nightmare, because the only thing you did (other than give me a very short-lived headache) is create wonderful fodder for my writing and become a mere entry in the blog that will long outlive you and your scare tactics.

What's that line from Desperado  ---  "You wanna play?  Let's play."