Thursday, July 18, 2013

SOMETIMES I FORGET I HAVE THINGS TO DO



Sometimes I forget I have things to do.  This is especially true when these things are not clearly visible and in my face.

I went for a mammogram Tuesday.  (I know, TMI.)  It would've been fine except Floyd the Uterine Fibroid was giving me more grief (talk about unexpected surprises, as if a surprise is ever expected), so my chest felt like a really badly broken nose -- you know, it hurt even when people looked at it.  The last thing I wanted was to be woman-handled and put into a medical vise.  Too make it worse, the tech claimed she needed more pictures with "more muscle."  Not quite sure where this "muscle" was going to come from since she had already inserted part of my rib cage along with my breasts into the crepe-squishing machine.  (Way TMI, right?)

After that lovely experience, I did what any normal person would do at 9:30 a.m. on a Tuesday after having a mammogram -- I went grocery shopping.  I bought tons of stuff since I hadn't done a decent shopping trip in a couple of weeks, so I had bag piled on top of bag piled on top of bag.  As I went to load the groceries into the back of my car, I realized there were still plastic bags full of clothes in there.  Remember I cleaned out my closet last week?  Yeah, don't worry about it; neither did I.  I had been meaning to toss those bags in the nearest Goodwill or Planet Aid box, and then I totally spaced.  I crammed all the bags of groceries into the back seat, instead.

My daughter and her fiancé invited me over for a BBQ, and we had a fun time.  We ate chicken sausages (which were remarkably delicious, especially the Asiago cheese ones), sat outside, chatted, and dueled with Google videos for a while.  Something bit me on the right knee, so I figured it must be time to head home. 

There are at least a half-dozen ways to get from Point D (Daughter) to Point H (Home), but I decided to use the main roads.  As I turned a corner from one busy street to another, I spotted IT.  IT was a big yellow box that said "Planet Aid" on it, and it was sitting all alone behind the church in the back parking lot.  Crap, I just missed it, I thought, glancing in my rearview mirror.  Miraculously, no one was behind me.  No one.  No one was coming the other way, either.  I applied the brakes with a bit too much enthusiasm, threw the car into reverse, and made a backward beeline to the lot.  A few minutes later, multi-bags dropped into the big yellow IT, I waited and waited and waited to merge into the sudden traffic that was everywhere.

When I got home last night, I applied anti-itch medicine to my bug-bitten knee and decided to start clicking things off my To-Do List.  I figured if I could remember to drop off the clothes, then I probably could write the check to the university that I owed on my balance due for my fall class, and take care of my youngest's college medical waiver, and put away my laundry, and file some more paperwork …  By the time I went to bed, my knee was itchy and uncomfy but relatively fine.

When I awoke this morning, though, the knee was not fine.  I ran errands and walked the mall and drove through the same construction site four times.  By the time I got home at 3:00, my knee was swollen, red-hot, and hurt like a sonofabitch.  On closer inspection, I either had a nasty bee sting or Cellulitis.  Again, I did what any normal person would do.  I disinfected a needle, grabbed some hydrogen peroxide and some alcohol, and mixed up a baking soda paste, then I jabbed at the spot on my knee that was the reddest and poured every medication I had near me onto the hottest spot.  It felt like I pulled a stinger out, and the area became less tender, less scarlet, and less swollen.  I really hoped I fixed this sucker because I do not want to spend tomorrow at the doctor's office.

I have things to do, places to go, people to see.  Sometimes I forget what they are because they're not right in front of me (filling out that passport information, cleaning up the spare room, emptying the basement, studying for my Spanish fluency exam, trying to find a mentor for my thesis/capstone project).  Unless these things are in my face, I'll spend time doing more important things, like reading a book or digging my feet into the beach sand or going on spontaneous road trips.  After a mammo, grocery shopping, BBQ, dumping old clothes, and beating the pus out of my own knee, I think tomorrow might just be a "stay home" day.

I think I earned it.  Even if I didn't, I'm going to humor myself before something else ridiculous happens or my right leg needs to be amputated from my self-denial of gangrene.