Thursday, July 25, 2013

I AM WRITING THIS WITHOUT MY FRIEND'S PERMISSION; I HOPE WE ARE STILL ON SPEAKING TERMS



I need to keep disguises in my car. 

Honestly.  This isn't even debatable anymore.  As soon as Halloween stuff hits the market, I'm buying fake wigs, hats, helmets, clown noses, and Groucho Marx glasses with the moustaches attached.  It's all staying in my car.  All of it.

You see, when I'm out with my friend, we have a bad habit of running into people we do not want to speak to … ever. 

Once in CVS we ran into an ex-acquaintance who had gone off the mental diving board clear into the deepest, darkest end of the sanity pool.  She acted as if it hadn't been months since we stopped taking her multi-hour, rave-filled phone calls.  Chief Crazy Woman (as she should be known) looked at my friend and me, and said, "Where are the tissues?  I can't find the tissues in this place!"  Then she sneered at us, giggled maniacally, and started talking about her kids like it was still 2010. 

The next time we spotted Chief Crazy Woman, we were in Kohl's.  My friend and I nearly ran CCW over with our shopping carriage, which we quickly ditched so we could run into the nearest aisle.  Turned out to be house wares.  Being short, my friend and I couldn't see over the pillow and bed spread displays, but it didn't matter because CCW was a hunched over, scrawny witch.  My friend and I moved carefully from display to display, spotting CCW again near the boys' department and again in an open walkway between purses and underwear.  Eventually we hid behind the racks of infant clothing because we knew it was the one place CCW wouldn't need to shop.  Just for the record, do you have the slightest idea how hard it is to hide two full-grown women behind teeny tiny little jumpsuits?  Thank goodness CCW is half-blind.   

This sort of crap happens to us every time we're together.  We run into students at Orange Leaf.  We have the restaurant manager who thinks we're throwing a rehearsal dinner for ourselves.  We get caught in tornados in the middle of Squam Lake.  We get busted raiding the neighbor's pool.  People around us at the beach just randomly fall over.  Wild animals parade around when we're sitting in the lawn chairs trying to enjoy the great outdoors.  Dick Nixon the Groundhog gets grazed in the head by a .22.   On and on and on.

Really.  You can't write this stuff; it writes itself without any encouragement from us whatsoever.

Tonight we are on a quest to Staples.  My friend needs a printer, and I need folders and a silver Sharpie. (Of course, wide-ruled notebook paper is also on sale.  I consider it a victory when I only buy two packs instead of the five I can buy for only fifty cents each.  Hey, I said "Two Pack" and "Fifty Cent" in the same sentence.  I'm just pointing that out.)  I have just gotten home from the gym, so I'm a little ripe around the edges.  Okay, I'm ripe in more places than just edges, but we're in a hurry to get to tax-free New Hampshire for the supplies.  I change from yoga pants to capris but leave on the sports bra and workout shirt.  What do I care?  We're only going to Staples, right? 

Wrong.  Oh, so wrong.

On our way back from Staples, just as we're pulling toward my friend's driveway, she notices a visitor.  It's not Chief Crazy Woman, but it's her evil spawn twin, Looney Toony Relative.  LTR is sitting in one of the Adirondack chairs on the front lawn, texting my friend that she is there "waiting, waiting, waiting."  My friend texts back, "Go home, go home, go home."  LTR apparently wants to become my friend's personal pilot fish.  In short, she is the current CCW. 

My friend ducks down in the passenger seat, I swerve back into the main road, and we continue along, stupefied.  A little background:  LTR is the same relative for whom my friend put on a children's bike helmet so she wouldn't be recognized when we had to drive down the street where LTR lives.  If only we had a helmet with us at this moment.

We do the next best thing.  We head to the nearest bar.  Installing the printer right this moment is not nearly as important as is escaping the human pilot fish.  I steer toward Chili's.  My friend is clearly in need of an ice cold beer, and so am I.  We walk in, knowing we are only going to stay about thirty minutes, so we head to the bar, which is completely crowded.  We grab a table, sit down, and relax for about ten seconds, when I see my friend wave slightly, turn to me, and roll her eyes. 

Her soon-to-be ex and his latest paramour are sitting next to us. Right next to us.  Practically in our laps next to us.

There is no place to duck and cover.  There are no tissue aisles, no house wares, no pillows, no bedspreads, no infant clothing racks, no helmets, no wigs, and no hole to swallow up either us or them. 

We order two draughts, shake our heads, and bust our guts laughing. 

We have carefully avoided one weird situation only to fall deeper into The Twilight Zone of FuckedUpVille.  These things seem to happen to us with alarming frequency, and this is exactly the reason why we need to keep disguises handy.  If we have disguises, maybe Chief Crazy Woman would not seek our help finding tissues,  Looney Toony Relative wouldn't scope us out driving by while she occupies someone else's Adirondack chair, and mistresses wouldn't surprise us in bars.

Who the hell am I kidding?  Of course this shit is going to keep happening to us.  But the wigs and masks and clown noses might make it all just slightly less surreal.  Until that happens, I'd like to raise a glass to my friend and simply say, "Cheers -- you make me laugh my fool head off!"  Friends like this are rare, and you should covet them and protect them when you are able.

Girlfriend, this disguise is for you!