Tuesday, July 9, 2013

BUSTING SOME BEACH TIME



I am tired and bored with waiting for the weather to actually kick into summer mode.  Oh sure, some of you will claim it is summer because it's hot and muggy.  You're wrong.  It is spring with the heat turned up, that's all. 

Don't believe me?  

 Look at the weather patterns.  Every day it starts out overcast, then some sun breaks through a little bit, but if you try to rush out and actually catch some sun, big fat dark clouds move in, and when you come back inside, the sun comes out again for about a minute, and you repeat the indoor-outdoor cycle until mid-afternoon.  Sometimes it rains and sometimes it doesn't, but mostly it does.  Then it gets dark because it's night time, and most of the storms are done but it's still overcast, and you can't see the stars because god-forbid the weather should actually, oh, I don't know, clear up, or something. 

Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.

Today I've had enough.  I stayed up way too late last night, so I don't roll out of bed until about 8:20.  I see slivers of sun shining off the roof of the house next door.  Gosh darn, there is actually some sunlight out there.  Holy crap.  By 8:25 I decide I will go to the beach for the morning, and I'm out of the door by 8:47 with my gear: a towel, water, snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, phone, book, flip-flops, and the beach chair that has been in the basement waiting until a decent forecast rolled around. 

I don't even look at the forecast.  I honestly don't give a flying duck. 
 
I am going to the beach.

It's muggy as all hell this morning, but I roll down the car windows, anyway.  Sure I notice it looks a little overcast to the northeast, but I have great faith that the clouds will burn off.  After all, isn't that what happens on a normal summer day? 

Between the highway wind and the humidity, by the time I arrive at my favorite parking space, #1913, my hair resembles Larry Fine on a good day.  I love space #1913.  It's near the pay station, it's a short walk to the bath house, it's near the back roads to the highway, and it's spitting distance to the access stairs, which means I'll have a forty-five second walk across cool sand to the water's edge. 

The one thing I despise about the big tourist-trap beaches is the parking -- your car bakes in the broiling sun a half-mile away from the beach, the walk is at least two football fields across scorching hot sand, and the bath house is a good three-quarter's of a mile north, away from the lot and the beach front action. 

Here it's kind of a secret spot, totally beachfront in every way, but if you don't have a space by 10:00 a.m. on a weekday and 9:00 a.m. on a weekend, you're not going to get one until dinner time. 

It's Monday; it's 9:40; my space, #1913, is open.  So far, life is good.

It's sunny when I get to the coast, so I do my usual ritual.  I walk the beach, curling my toes into the wet sand and the cool surf, trekking as far as I can between the incoming tide and the rocky outcroppings at either end, then I return to the car for the beach chair and my gear.  Time for sunscreen, a book, and some relaxation.

Until the boat shows up. 

There are several fishing boats visible along the horizon, but this one is loud and boisterous and large.  It's one of the deep sea fishing boats from Seabrook, and the wind carries the roaring motor and the chat-filled conversations to shore as if the damn thing is parked in the sand right next to me.  No matter.  It's a deep sea excursion, right? 

Wrong. 

The boat drops anchor directly in front of me less than a mile from shore.  Not only does it drop anchor, it cuts its engine, as well.  Now all I hear are the people on board talking.  Note to boaters:  If there's a breeze blowing in off the water, we really can hear every word you say.  Every.  Damn.  Word.  Like-You're-Sitting-With-Me damn word.  I'm just telling you, you know, in case you're planning on confessing something important while you're out to sea like where you buried Jimmy Hoffa's multiple pieces or the breed of dog you're using to cheat on your wife.  Every.  Damn.  Word.

It's also strange to be able to hear the boat so well because the wind is actually coming from the north, whipping sideways across the beach like a life-sized blow-dryer.  I can't smell the ocean at all.  As a matter of fact, I cannot smell the ocean until I pass the salt marches as I'm leaving and again when I get home and notice the lingering scent on my skin.  What I can smell at the beach is Coppertone and cigars.  Short of sticking my face in the water and snorting in a salt-filled nose-full, I cannot smell the salt air or waves at all.

The ocean is unusually calm today considering how windy it is.  There are some whitecaps and lots of swells, but the waves themselves are mild, almost nonexistent.  This is the surfing hot-spot for the area, and I've seen small waves here and monster waves that swallow people and shorelines whole, but I've never seen this.  It's like being at a pond.  I don't even worry about a random wave crashing too close to me today; it's totally not going to happen.

The whole time I'm here, all three hours of it, the sun is mostly hiding behind some dark gray clouds, and after a while the temperature drops.  I retreat to the car to grab my spare sweatshirt that I keep for moments like this, but I'm not giving up yet.  It's chilly on the beach and warm by the car, a mere fifty yards away.  I read another chapter then decide to walk again. 

Back to the car goes the gear, and off I go on another jaunt, shorter than the first one because it's almost high tide and the south part of the beach has been swallowed up.  I extend my walk by scouring the reduced area for larger rocks to bring back for a friend's garden.  She edges the garden with the smooth stones, and we gather several every time we're there.  Since she has to work today, I pick up one rock … then another … and another … and then one more … and then just one more on top of that … until I am balancing four rocks and my flip-flops in one arm, and a heavy round beach stone in my other with no logical way to retrieve my keys from my pocket.

By the time I pack up to go, the sky over the beach is mostly sunny, but the incoming clouds are dark and angry.  They'll probably pass in time, the storms usually start in the late afternoon and go through dinner time, but the clouds look ominous and unfriendly.  Driving home I watch the temperature climb from 72 back into the 80's.  Away from the coast, it's like a sauna.  The storms start in earnest around 5:00 and continue for about two hours off and on.  My neck of the woods escapes everything except torrential downpours, but my friend two towns over is getting hail and nasty weather.  Like every other day before it and the forecast for every day after it, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I guess that's why it's called a weather pattern; but I wish the pattern would change already.  Even so, it's not keeping me from the sand and surf.  A semi-crappy day at the beach beats a good day on a suburban patio any day of the week, any week of the year.  I've even watched the surfers ply their trade during a cold spell that could rapidly cause frostbite.  The beach is the bomb.

But truly, we're going on to week four of the same forecast, repeat, repeat, repeat.  It's like a record with a skip, or when the cable picture pixelates and freezes, or like a video post that loops and continuously captures its subject for all of eternity waving or dancing or sneezing or worse.  They should just put up yesterday's weather, or last week's weather, or the weather from two weeks ago, because it's all the same.  It's the same old song. 

It's spring with the heat turned up.  At least the lawns are enjoying it; I only wish I were, as well.  Zzzzzz.