Sunday, July 14, 2013

BOSTON REALITY



I am in Boston today doing some pre-wedding errands with my two sons (best man and groom), the bride, and the bride's father.  It's fun naming some of the landmarks as we go, landmarks that mean more to locals than to anyone else.

We start on Beacon Street, passing such notable places as Tom Brady's brownstone and The Church of Scientology.  We cut across Exeter Street, walking in front of the now-defunct Exeter Street Theater that used to run Rocky Horror Picture Show on a continuous loop.  We make our way past alleys that are numbered … Alley 417 … Alley 418 … and work our way across several more intersections until we reach Boylston Street.

I spot the building where my father used to work when he was employed by Kenyon & Eckhardt Advertising, however short a tenure that may have been (anger management is a bit of an issue that runs in my family).  I'm so conditioned that I don't notice the tourist spots anymore -- Old South Church, Copley Square, Trinity Church.

As we step along the sidewalk, someone in our group says, "This is where one of the bombs went off.  Right here where we're walking."

Because I possess a horrid sense of direction, I don't realize where we are right away until I see the blue and yellow paint in the street.  We are at the Boston Marathon Finish Line.

I look around, my mind picturing the locations of my students and my friends and their families, people who truly were right here when it happened.  There is some kind of tour going on, complete with a professional camera man, and the woman with the microphone is being drowned out by a nearby conversation -- two girls recounting some chick-fight, complete with salty language and semi-reenactments of the bitch-slapping.  The reality of our location stuns me and reels my senses.  The juxtaposition of the camera and the foul-mouthed women, and the Finish Line makes me feel like everyone is desecrating hallowed ground, including me for walking there.  I actually feel disoriented for a few moments as we continue down the street past throngs of people moving in multiple directions all at once.

After making our main stop, we trek back over to Newbury Street, finding a place to eat lunch and having the luxury of a Boston resident and frequent city diner in our party.  We walk in to a crowded spot and get a prime table.  This is when it pays to be a true Bostonian over being a Wannabe or a tourist.

I love this city, and I love walking around this city.  When I hang out here with my pal Sal, we walk an average of five miles and know where every public bathroom is (usually because we've stopped off for a pint or two).  I am so used to endless and relaxing jaunts through Boston that I completely walk by where we've parked the car.  I'd probably still be walking if the rest of our party hadn't whistled me back to reality.

Or maybe it's because part of me doesn't want to stop, doesn't want to acknowledge that Finish Line, doesn't want to accept that this city will never be the same again not only in how the world perceives us but in how we perceive ourselves.