Tuesday, July 2, 2013

GAME ON!



Okay, so I guess I shouldn't have challenged Mother Nature yesterday.  Today my little neck of the woods was under a tornado warning for … forty-five minutes … then an hour … then an hour and a half … 

The only room in my house that doesn't have full-sized windows, or any windows for that matter, is the bathroom.  I rode out a microburst a few years ago that tore right over that part of the house and blasted apart a tree only feet away, so I feel pretty confidant that it's well-constructed for wind purposes.  I figure the bathroom has everything I need:  a tub to sleep in, water from the sink, towels if I get cold, and a toilet, well, you know, just in case. 

Tornado or no, I took my cell, some magazines, a few puzzles, a headset, and an emergency flashlight, and prepared to feel the house pull a Gale Farmhouse Spinarama.  I watched the radar on my phone and finally emerged back into civilization after about ninety minutes once I was certain three storm systems had safely passed by.  All right, so I didn't stay in there the whole time.  I came out a few times to grab some snacks and look outside and grab a fan and watch some television.  Don't tell the people at the Emergency Broadcast System; they sent me several alerts, and I want them to believe I took them very seriously.

Some of the music I listened to, though, cracked me up.  The words were rather appropriate should the house tear from its foundation after the hundred and fifty or so years it has been standing:  Feel so lost sometimes, until you die, never going home again, state of Massachusetts, I'll be home, where you live nobody knows, just when it seems so clear that it's over now, and, of course, shaking the tree.  All this and I played a skeeball app, posted on Facebook, checked my mail, texted back and forth, answered a few calls, read a magazine, and attempted to complete a couple of puzzles before giving up.  

Alas, when the warning lifted, I was not on Oz.  All in all, Mother Nature flexed her muscles back at me after I dared her to (I believe my exact words were, "Let the games begin"), and it was merely an inconvenience today.  Thankfully. This has given me an idea, though.

I'll never win the lottery jackpot.  Never, ever.  Don't believe me, Lottery Commission?  I dare you!  (I'll keep you posted on how this works out.)