Friday, July 12, 2013

BAD, FLIP-FLOPS, BAD BAD BAD



I read a report today that flip-flops are bad for our feet.

Look, folks, walking is bad for our feet.  It forces our poor feet, often one at a time, to fully support our entire over-ripened frames.  All those tiny little bones, laced together, bearing the bad choices of our ice cream addictions.

Okay, maybe it's my ice cream addiction.  Don't judge me.

I live in flip-flops during the summer.  I wear them everywhere and have multiple colors, styles, and heel-heights.  I already have bad feet -- I sliced one almost in half and had the other one completely rebuilt.  How much damage can flip-flops do?  I have about a dozen pairs, and I'm not ready to part with them. 

I even keep a spare set in the car.  Honestly, there's a good reason for this.  The first reason is that occasionally I will plan ahead, get changed after work, then drive right up to the beach.  If I already have flip-flops in the car, it's one less thing I have to pack in the morning.  The main reason I keep an extra pair, though, is because once I was working in my classroom during the summer, and my flip-flops broke.  I didn't have a spare pair, and I had to work barefoot and walk around barefoot in the hallways.  The janitorial staff wasn't too pleased about that.  Now I always have spares handy.

Apparently flip-flops are bad for our feet for a couple of reasons.  The lack of support is bad for the arches.  Now, who made up this pile of hooey?  Flip-flips, at least the foam or rubber ones, conform to our feet.  Doesn't that mean that after a few wearings, the arch and foot support occur naturally?  Isn't that beneficial as opposed to a pre-created arch that isn't an exact fit?  This is a fallacy.  Right now I'm looking at my most beat-up pair of flip-flops, and I can guarantee they fit my feet perfectly.  Judging from the indentations, my feet could still be in the damn things.  I can even see each toe imprint.

Toes -- This is another reason why flip-flops are bad to wear.  The crinkling of toes to grip the flip-flop as we walk is apparently yanking our plantar fasciae.  I've had Plantar Fasciitis, and I woke up with it.  I wasn't wearing flip-flops to bed, believe me.  I'm weird, but even I'm not that weird.  I consider the flip-flop-toe-grip as a form of exercise.  Some days it's the sole exercise I get.  Curl, little toes, CURL.

There's only one reason why flip-flops are dangerous, and I discovered it firsthand walking in Boston last summer:  Old people who are crowding onto tour buses and don't want to wait their turn as we walk by will step on the back of the flip-flops and give us major foot bruises that really, really hurt, especially if we still have about five more miles to walk.  So don't ever wear flip-flops around errant mobs of old people.  That's super dangerous and should be discouraged.

I don't believe that flip-flops are bad for our feet.  I believe that reading reports about flip-flops being bad for our feet is harmful.  Next they'll tell us sneakers cause back injuries or that only Liberals wear Crocs.  (Just so everyone knows, I am unenrolled in any political party and have never bought Crocs in my life.  They strike me as uber-expensive jelly shoes, and I just cannot make myself buy them.)  There are enough things out in the world that are harmful: cigarettes, car exhaust, GMO's, insecticide, soda, tightrope walking, and anything that slimes its way out of a Congressional committee.  I wouldn't bother putting flip-flops on any FBI watch list or anything.

But, in the meantime, if you're really concerned and have any extra flip-flops in sizes 7 ½ or 8, and said flip-flops haven't conformed to your feet yet, I am more than willing to risk my foot health for you.  See what a good friend I am?  I would suffer another bout of Plantar Fasciitis for you!  I would so do that for you!  Bryan Adams should write a song about me.