Saturday, July 13, 2013

CARD SHARKS GROW IN FAMILY TREES



I come from a family of card players.  

I think I've always known how to play Solitaire and Double Solitaire and the usual games of Old Maid and Fish and Crazy Eights.  Our family used to have some heated Rummy games and rounds of Everlasting (like War only with card suits) and the ill-fated rounds of Hearts where my grandfather would always shoot the moon and then pretend he didn't know how to play.

As a teenager I learned the more aggressive team card games like Knock-Out Whist, Multi-Player Spit, and the best card game of all time, an old Irish transplant called Forty-Fives.

Today my sister is visiting.  We break out the cards for a casual game of Rummy, which we both play fairly evenly and don't bother keeping score.  Next up is Gin Rummy.  I win the first game then promptly lose everything after that. 

Then I bring out the Big Guns -- Cribbage.

My sister is really good at Cribbage (one of my sisters-in-law is even better).  I, on the other hand, can barely remember the rules.  While pulling the wooden pegs out of the bottom panel of the board, Sis quickly reminds me of how to play.  In the first dummy hand that we play, she totally wrecks me and leaves me somewhere back near the gate while she takes off around the first corner of the board.  

"That's just for practice," she says, "an open hand."

I think it should count.  After all, I never win at Cribbage, so it's okay with me if she already holds a commanding lead.  I mean, I am the one who pulled out the board.  I knew what I was getting into when I started this debacle.  I lose the battle, though, and she replaces the pegs at the start line.

Her coaching pays off as my pegs leap-frog their way up and around the board.  Eventually and inexplicably I reach the end line first many hands later.  If my sister had counted the first hand like I wanted her to, she would have kicked my royal ass.

I am dying to teach her how to play Forty-Fives, though.  I think she'd be damned good at it, and I think we'd make a strong team for partner games.  But there's no way I'd play cut-throat with her at the table.  She knows me too well.

That's how she trounced me at Gin Rummy earlier.  I swear she knows what I'm holding in my hand and what move I will make even before I do.

Creepy.  And kind of cool.  Definitely loads of fun.

It's too bad she lives two states away from me.  I'm feeling a rematch coming on.  You know, just for practice.  A dummy hand or two with all bets off.  Unless, of course, I'm winning, in which case all bets are on.