Wednesday, October 3, 2018

HIGHWAY TO YOU-KNOW-WHERE

I'm having a decent morning until I leave for work. 

First of all, I don't know if the trash trucks are coming.  I'm assuming not because my street is a labyrinth of gas pipes exposed for the world to see, but just in case I throw my bag on the sidewalk like I always do.  If it's still there when I come home, I'll put it back in the covered trash can until next week.

It's drizzling a bit, and I have to hoof it across a dangerous intersection to get to my car that I parked one street away in a public lot that the auto mechanic who operates near there believes he owns.  Wrong, pal; it's a public lot, and I'm staying here until I can get to my driveway again in a few days.  I get a little frizzy-haired on my way to my car (so much for washing my hair this morning), but overall, it's not a terrible experience.

Then, I beat the bus that usually gets in front of me, despite the fact that I'm leaving a few minutes later than usual.  Not only that, but I make it through the light.  Then another light.  Then even another one.  It's crazy.  Traffic is moving along so well that I reject my anti-frustration route through the state forest and opt for the main drag all the way.  Heck, I even get the green arrow at the huge clusterfuck intersection near work!

But, as I get closer and closer to work, I realize that my mood is changing.  I have a lot of minutiae in my life right now, and for some reason my job seems to be dishing out a lion's share of it lately.  It's kind of like sitting near a swarm of bees and knowing you're going to get stung a few times, but really hoping that it doesn't happen.  (It does.)  I mean, it's just a whole load of stupid shit, like the fact that the copy machine in my wing is STILL broken, despite it being "fixed" yesterday, and avoiding some people because the conversation always seems to veer toward medical pustules and other vomit-worthy subjects, especially when I'm eating.

So it's really no surprise to me at all that the very millisecond I turn onto school property, my car radio starts belting out ACDC's Highway to Hell.  So fitting, so fitting. 

In the end it's not really a horrible day, despite the fact that I not only have to park a street away from home but I have to hoof it completely around to the other end of my street to walk in because of the giant furrows in the road (Yay, gas lines!)  Of course, this way I get to pick up my bag of garbage which is still, miraculously enough, exactly where I left it this morning ten hours ago.