Sunday, July 9, 2017

STORMY DISTRACTION

I am quite distracted working on my house.  I'm trying to prep myself to downsize, hopefully within the next year - perhaps sooner.  Friday is the perfect day to take on this task as it is rainy and just plain blah.  However, the ramification of this endeavor is that this is not going to be a one day project.  It's not even going to be a one week project.  This project is a major life event that takes more planning than I gave forethought.

In other words, I am screwed.

By Saturday, I already need a break.  Besides, the bills are dangerously close to being late since they are buried somewhere in a pile on the kitchen table, where I can no longer serve nor eat meals without moving piles of stuff and creating a small space for myself.  I get the bills all set to mail, grab a shower, and make myself a list:

1.  Post office to mail the bills
2.  UPS errand
3.  CVS errand
4.  Wine tasting

Yes, item #4 is strictly for my sanity.  It won't help my motivation, but, looking at this place and the disastrous state it's in, I need to get away for a while. I complete the first two items on the list and start heading over toward the next town, where errands #3 and #4 are located. 

This is when I notice the sky.  The clouds are heavy, blue-gray, and angry.  I left my house without checking the radar, and now I'm driving right into a major storm front.  I tell myself that maybe it won't be so bad, but, just as I convince myself of this, a large branch tears away from a tree and crashes into the street in front of me, bouncing and twisting to a stop mere inches from the car.

It's a twister; it's a twister!  Well, not really.  I pull into the lot and check my phone for the weather radar, which is showing a huge line of nasty storms coming right this way.  I sit in my car for a few minutes, debating the sensibility of riding out the storm in a glass-windowed shop full of glass bottles of wine and spirits.

Aw, what the hell.  There are worst places to die.

Within minutes of entering the wine store, the skies open up and a huge clap of thunder coincides with the lights flickering.  Within fifteen minutes, the storm front has moved along.  I grab some wine to bring home - an Argentinean malbec and some prosecco.  Then, it's back to face the mess.

One more minor storm front moves through while I'm working on the house (still tackling the books), but I wait until it is over before going around to re-set every clock in the house.  I have a big enough project ahead of me without having to continuously monitor the clocks.  I do continue to monitor the radar, though.  No sense in making that same mistake twice in one day.