Tuesday, July 18, 2017

KEY TO THE KEYS

Is it just me?  Am I the only one?  I mean, what if I need one of these someday?  What if one fits when I least expect it to and need it the most?  What if one is actually something that I need?

Am I the only person in the world who holds on to old keys?

I find this cache of keys today and instantly suspect they belong to my daughter, who is notorious for losing large collections of important keys, oftentimes leaving herself stranded somewhere far, far away.  But, no, these keys are not hers.  So, I wrack my brain trying to recall from where these keys may have come.  I vaguely remember when I started this whole purging process months ago that I had a small wicker basket full of random keys and random key rings.

Dagnabbit.  Those damn keys I find are mine.  All mine.

I start flipping through them.  I am reasonably certain that the keys are for old apartments where I no longer live.  Maybe old cars.  Maybe even old suitcases, file cabinets, and classrooms. 

But, then again, in a small closet upstairs I do have two fire boxes of old negatives from my 35mm Canon camera and from the old family Nikon camera.  Perhaps I had better not dump the keys just yet.  Plus, my house currently has a back door that has never had a key.  I randomly try keys on the ring, anyway.  Some fit; none opens the lock, though.

So, is it just me, or are there other people in the world who save random keys because one might still be needed and because one might actually come in handy in a pinch some day?

On second thought, don't respond to that question.  I might discover from people's answers that I am worse than a hoarder -- that I am actually mentally ill because I stockpile old and useless keys (and various other reasons).  Move along, move along; nothing to see here. 

However, if you find yourself locked out of something or somewhere, I may just have a key close enough to help you out.  I'm just saying.