Wednesday, July 26, 2017

HERCULEAN TASK

In the continuing saga that is Project De-Clutter My Life, I take a detour from big changes and decide to clean out my bureaus.  This involves twelve medium-sized drawers of stuff.  When it's all done, my drawers are color-coordinated by shirts -- short-sleeved shirts of solids and prints in coordinating colors; long-sleeved shirts of solid and prints in coordinating colors, and tank tops of all kinds.

These are just the pull-over and knit shirts.  Oh, there are more shirts; dear lord, there are many more shirts.  There are shirts in my tiny closet, and there are enough t-shirts to outfit a summer camp in drawers under my bed. 

All of my work shirts and play shirts and t-shirts create a varied color palate,  a little heavy on black and blue and with a surprising amount of pink and orange, but still -- brown, green, red, yellow, purple...  It really does run the gamut.

After redoing all of the bureau drawers, I am left with work-out gear to relocate.  I take out the gym-rat clothing and sort it into four piles:  short-sleeved work-out shirts; long-sleeved work-out shirts; shorter yoga/workout pants; long yoga/workout pants.

This is when I notice a pattern. All of my work-out gear is either pink or black. I cannot tell you how or why this is so.  I can only admit to it.  Several of the pink shirts are from a 5k that I do yearly, and, to be fair, there are two other 5k shirts that are not black nor pink; they are blue and red.   I also sneak in a blue striped shirt and a green striped shirt, but the gear that I wear over and over again = pink or black, oftentimes both.

I'm sure there is some deeply-rooted psychological reason why I keep choosing pink and black for working out.  It's not like I'm a gym rat, at least not anymore I'm not.  Being inside is boring and defeats the purpose of exercise, at least to my brain. 

So, when I'm out and about, do people along my usual route notice this, too?  Am I the Black and Pink Lady?  I don't really need any new athletic clothing.  However, I will try to branch out a little bit next time when I am at the store -- maybe check out some blue or purple leggings.  Work my way up to it, so to speak.

No matter, really.  The drawers are done, and I've loaded two more grocery bags full of stuff to donate.  That alone is a Herculean task in any color.