Thursday, July 6, 2017

SONG TO MAKE MY DAY

I'm having some fun with Sirius radio. 

My favorite station is the Sinatra station, and I'm fond of 50's, 60's, and 70's radio, too, though I am discovering the stations seem to cover the same songs over and over again.  Every so often, though, and oldie but goody will appear out of nowhere.

For example, today's Song To Make My Day is an old ballad.  It's not a love ballad, really, but it is a (wicked short) story from start to finish with a great moral, a moral to which we should all adhere.  Coincidentally, right after the song ends, I encounter the exact thing the song is celebrating, and it's almost a mystical experience.

It starts out with a tense, dangerous situation.  Listeners fear it will end badly (it does).  It says:

"Crossing the highway late last night / He should've looked left / And he should've looked right. / He didn't see the station wagon car ..."

This is terrible!  Something awful is going to happen; I just know it.  I almost cannot listen any further, but, of course, I do listen.  I listen because I already know how this song ends:  "The skunk got squashed / And there you are."

The plot tagline is simple:  Dead skunk in the middle of the road.

The moral of the story is simple and yet incredibly important for all people in any kind of situation, from a simple tiff to a major life crisis.  When life flattens you out and threatens to make roadkill out of you, here is the simple lesson you should all know:

That ain't no rose -- Roll up your window and hold your nose.

Yes, I am definitely having some fun with Sirius radio.  I'd love to stay and chat about it, but I have to watch the road.  You see, there's a pavement pelt coming up on route 38, and it looks suspiciously like a dead skunk in the middle of the road.