Sunday, July 30, 2017

DOING A LOT OF NOTHING

Every so often we just need a day to do absolutely nothing.  Well, not "nothing" nothing -- nothing of any supreme importance.  Take today, for example.

I have a To-Do List that is at least a dozen items deep.  Some of the items on the list are half-completed, and today would be a perfect day to continue trying to tackle the list.  Of course, it's beautiful outside: mostly sunny, not too hot, low humidity.  All of my windows are open.

Aha!  Air out the house.  Not on my list, but it could be, so ... CHECK!

My son and his girlfriend bought me a jigsaw puzzle, and the outline is done.  I poke around and throw a few pieces in here and there.  I check my email.  I check Facebook.  While online, I decide to check on one of my television obsessions and realize the series is in its final season already and I am late to the party.  I watch one episode online, but my internet is sluggish.

Time to figure out On Demand.  Yup, I am one of "those people."  I don't care enough about television to ever need On Demand, and, if there's something I want to watch that I miss, I can usually catch it online.  There are a few shows I hate missing, though, and one of those shows is the AMC series Turn

I google how to watch a show On Demand.  Excellent.  This should be easy.  I turn on the television.  Not so easy.  It's not in television mode.  I juggle the two remotes and try to remember what my son told me about resetting it to viewing mode.  Success.  Now, on to the real trick.

I have to find my way to the station selection guide, find AMC, find Turn, then make sure I'm on the right season.  Once the show comes up, I am truly surprised that I haven't screwed up the whole process, and I watch season four, episode two.  And then episode three.  Episode four.  Episode five, during which I grab some lunch when commercials come on to the screen.  Episode six and mimosas come into the mix. 

Finally, I am on the last episode before the new one airs later this evening.  I sneak in some dessert while I'm watching.  Honestly, I am stunned watching this show.  It is mesmerizing, fascinating, horrifying, addicting, and fabulous all at the same time.  If you're not watching it, you're missing one of the best things on television, and in the course of my six-hour binge today, I gasp, cheer, scream, yell at the characters, find myself with my hand covering my mouth more than once, and pace the house until the new episode airs at nine o'clock.

Now that the show is over for the night, I'm back to attacking the puzzle.  Oh, sure, I could be and should be working  on a project around the house or enjoying the lovely day and evening, but sometimes we all just need a mental health day.  Today is mine.  Besides, the To-Do List isn't going anywhere.