Friday, November 4, 2016

LOST LUNCH -- LEFTOVER LOSER

End of term time is always tough.  Today I have a group of students come for lunch to work on tests they haven't finished.  No, I don't force them to come and have lunch with me; this is their choice to avoid staying after school with me.

I tell the kiddos to get their lunches while I run to the teachers' lunchroom so I can warm up my leftovers.  Last night I made chicken broccoli ziti alfredo, and I'm dying to eat it for lunch.  My stomach has been grumbling for over an hour waiting for this moment.

The container goes into the microwave, and I set it for one minute.  I have to get back to my cherubs, make sure they're comfy and ready to work.  Finally, the microwave dings and I'm headed back to my desk, my mouth salivating with the knowledge that I am about to eat a fabulous lunch of excellent leftovers.

I get all of us situated, wait until the students have picked up where they left off, then peel back the cover to my lunch.  I am expecting chicken broccoli ziti alfredo.

Not.

Unfortunately for me and for my stomach, I grabbed the look-alike container of leftover chicken rather than the delicious leftover ziti when packing my lunch this morning.  Deflated and still hungry, I pull out of my bag some applesauce and a snack.  This will be my lunch.

I won't starve, but I do learn an important lesson.  When one packs his or her own lunch, it is wise to double-check all containers before leaving the house.