Monday, November 14, 2016

GAME NIGHT TURNS VULGAR, AND MOMMY WINS

Game night arrives to the Heliand household as we have a rare but welcome family evening.  Two of my three kiddos are around plus one girlfriend, and apparently they've all ganged up on me to make it Game Night.  By ganging up, I mean they want to play some old-school video games. 

I suck at old school video games.  Actually, I suck at all video games.  Even as a kid, I couldn't win at Pong nor Space Invaders nor Pac-Man nor any of those video driving games.  We decide to play some Mario Kart.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the car go without hitting the wall or dunking into water or running off into the snow.  I do pretty well with the dirt track and actually find myself accidentally winning one round.  I have no idea how I finished first as I don't even know what I'm doing.

We also play some Mario Tennis, which is a good idea until I choose to be some flying duck-like thing.  I cannot play tennis as a person, so this whole flapping around thing isn't helping.  Somehow I manage to win a few rounds of this, as well.

I don't truly shine until we change over to Cards Against Humanity.  For anyone unfamiliar with this game, it's a theme game played with different printed cards.  It's just like Apples to Apples only filthy and foul-mouthed.  In other words, it's my kind of game.  The first three times it's my turn, I pick teacher-school type cards, which depresses me a little bit.  It's the weekend; cut me some slack. 

I find myself ahead in this game.  No one can play the "fart" card nor the "getting launched off the toilet" card nor the cards that are in particularly poor taste like I can.  Soon the kiddos are complaining that even when they try not to pick the cards I play, they pick the cards I play.  I end up with 24 cards in my pile, which makes me the winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

I may not be very good at the interactive television-based games, but I am very good at the interactive vulgarity games.  I'm not sure that says much about me on a personal level, but I at least get some kudos for being clever ... 24 kudos, to be exact.