Saturday, November 12, 2016

ELECTRONIC HIDE AND SEEK

Several months ago my daughter bought me a portable charger for my phone.  I was going on a relatively long bus ride, and I wanted to be sure I would be able to have internet access (for a while, anyway), or, at the very least, be able to play with some of the apps on my cell phone during the ride. 

Unfortunately, this was a short-lived experience.

It's not really my fault.  You see:  I put the brand new charger someplace safe where I wouldn't lose it.  And then, I promptly lost it. 

Hey, don't judge me!  I've had a lot on my plate these past few months.  Okay, that's not really true.  Maybe it's a little true, but still.  It's electronic, right?  So, it should be with the electronics and electronic accessories near my home computer. 

But, it's not.

This week, the thought of the lost charger is really bugging me, so I search the house, wandering from room to room, trying to remember where I last saw the damn thing.  It's not like I can miss it; it's bright pink.  This isn't the first time I've gone looking, either.  Yet again, seeking that which is hiding is futile.  Somehow, I really and truly cannot find it.

I start questioning my sanity: Did I leave it in my daughter's car?  Did I leave it somewhere?  Did I accidentally throw it out with the Best Buy bag it was in?

Fast forward to me cleaning out that winter closet (aka: my spare room).  There is a laptop case with no laptop in  it.  I am notorious for leaving pens and pencils inside of everything that I own, so I reach inside the flap of the front pocket, fully expecting an animal or some other crazy possibility to come flying out of the darkness. 

Instead, I feel something cardboard-ish.  Could it be?  Dare I hope?

It is. 

I pull the missing charger out of the laptop case pocket.  I open the package the charger is in (hadn't even opened it when I shoved it in its hiding spot months ago), plug it in, and rejoice knowing the next time I have to go on a long bus (or plane, train, or automobile)ride, I'll have the extra charger I needed months ago in August, just in case.  Best of all, I am now the winner of a very long game of Hide and Seek.