Monday, November 7, 2016

BOSTON PRE-CHRISTMAS

Boston is gearing up for Christmas.  I see it for myself when I'm wandering around the North End and Faneuil Hall this weekend. 

I will say this, though: the giant Christmas tree looks horrible at the moment.  I hope it is because I see it right after it arrives on a flatbed truck.  One side of the beast is bushy and lush, and the other side is crooked, squished up, and sad.  There are huge limbs on the ground, chopped off in an effort to make the tree more uniform.  If the branches don't start relaxing themselves, no amount of pruning is going to save this year's holiday spruce.

The other trees in Faneuil Hall wear their decorations all year.  The only thing missing is the coordinated holiday light show set to Christmas music.  Already the stores are decorating their window fronts with scenes of holiday cheer, transforming the marketplace into a wonderland.

I know Halloween just passed, and I know that many people don't want to rush the season, but once Thanksgiving passes, life becomes a frenetic pace of beat the holiday clock.  At least this way there is a sense of relaxation rather than urgency.  Maybe I'll mosey in once or twice to see the tree and lights before the season ends.  Two years ago I wandered around for an hour or two before a Bruins game.  Last year friends and I came in on New Year's Day.

Nothing at all is like Christmas in the city.  Buildings are decorated and lights are strung everywhere, even office lobbies have massive lit trees and colorful displays.  I don't care what religion you are or what you believe or know about an American Christmas -- the holiday lights are for everyone, and it makes the city look clean and bright and welcoming.

First full week of November?  That's fine with me.  I'm ready.  Bring it.  Throw the switch; light the lights.  Boston is gearing up for Christmas, and I'm gearing up right along with it.