Saturday, November 26, 2016

GETTING THE TRASH OUT

I am ashamed to admit that the cellar I recently finished cleaning out (not yet cleaning UP, but the junk is cleaned OUT) is a project that started months ago.  Last fall after removing air conditioners from windows, I piled them outside instead of in the basement.  Last Fall.  As in 2015.

I am careful with the patio, though.  I place heavy plastic under everything so nothing leaves rust stains on the concrete, and I keep the pile covered with plastic (and weighted down with bricks) through the winter.  To this pile of three air conditioners, I also add two dehumidifiers, three old computer monitors, and a busted electric fireplace. 

All the while, plastic comes in handy, and the monitors even have trash bags on them, just in case.  I'm not sure from what I protect these items.  After all, it's JUNK.

Finally, I finish the hauling out, and finally I have an entire day off, so I decide to find out where to haul the crap I've piled outside (lest my landlord start charging me a daily ugly property fee, if there even is such a thing).  I look up the recommended removal places on the town's recycling flyer only to discover that not one of the places listed even serves our community.

What.  The.  Hell.

I do have two options.  I can haul the stuff (one at a time, week by week) to a friend's house in a nearby town and pay $25 for each item removed.  Or, I can haul the stuff to the local scrap metal dealers.  The problem with these options is that I am also having some back trouble and can barely rake leaves out of the way for anyone to lift the trashed appliances let alone try to lift them myself. 

I search the Internet for junk dealers near me, find one with good reviews, and call them.  I figure maybe they might be able to come by next week sometime.  Instead, I talk to an amiable gent who informs me that the junk men will be at my house within the hour.  Actually, his time frame gives me about forty minutes.

Hmmmm.  I suppose I should change out of my flannel pajama pants, then.

The junk men call before they arrive, and they wave to me as they drive up to the house.  By now, I am outside madly (and sorely) trying to move the wet leaves out of the way.  They quickly give me an estimate that is $100 cheaper than I am expecting and $75 cheaper than me hauling the stuff away myself.

SOLD.  Take it.  I'll even give them cash.

The basement may not be finished yet, but at least the year-long saga of staring at the old air conditioners, monitors, and dehumidifiers is over.  Luckily, since I waited so long, I get to add in that electric fireplace that bit the dust two weeks ago.  Life is good, and my patio is clean again. 

Thank you, All Day Junk Removal out of Lawrence, MA.  You saved my sanity, my back, my wallet, and the eventual wrath of my landlord.