Wednesday, November 9, 2016

BURNING QUESTIONS

I always vote after school, around 3:15 in the afternoon.  Until today.

My youngest wants me to go vote with him, make sure he has the correct polling place and the correct precinct.  He gets out of work at 5:00.  I know from experience that dinner-time voting can be a huge wait-game, and the kid has to get to a coaching gig in New Hampshire early in the evening.

The potential for disaster is in the air. 

We devise the best way to hit the polls.  After all, on my way home earlier, the line of cars jockeying to get to the high school field house for the election was very, very, VERY long, about a mile, and that's just from one direction (the back road).  Turns out, though, that disaster is averted.  There are parking spaces and zero lines inside even at dinner time.

Honestly, my son doesn't  need me, but I enjoy the company.  It's fun to watch him vote in his first presidential election, and the women manning the precinct think he's absolutely adorable.  They make a big deal out of checking him in, watching his ballot go into the box, and handing him a sticker.

I cannot stomach any of the candidates for president, to be honest.  I have personally met Bill Weld, and find him to be a decent guy.  If it were Weld-Johnson, I could choose my ballot, but today I stand dumbfounded, staring at the ticket, wondering what in the hell I am going to do. I end up with a mixture of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.  Mix it up.  Keep it fresh. For the state ballot questions, I vote also in a mix of yes/no.

By the time I post this blog, the decision will be made and America will have spoken.  Right now, though, as the results are still up in the air and the polls in the west are still open, I have a few burning questions left unanswered:

1.  If Trump loses, will he go back to being an orange Ooople-Ooopah in a business suit, running his business ala Willy Wonka?

2.  If Clinton loses, what country will she move to in order to avoid prosecution and extradition when her cohorts start mysteriously suffering "heart attacks"?

3.  Will the Obamas stop coming to Martha's Vineyard so the rest of us can maybe vacation in our own backyard for a change?

And, the most pressing question of all in this whole election:

4.  How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?