Thursday, June 30, 2016

IT'S DRESS-UP DAY!

Today is Dress-Up Day. 

I've made a few pacts with gal pals that we will dress up and go out for a meal or two or three.  Today my daughter has to go for some routine medical tests and has been fasting, so we decide that I'll tag along so we can go out to eat afterward. 

I text her.  "What are we wearing?  Shorts, jeans, or dresses?"

Lately my daughter has been dressing up a lot for no other reason than she can.  Occasionally I'll dress up for work, but I haven't dressed up as often as I could.  I'm just more comfy in jeans and sneakers.

"Dresses," she responds.

Yay!  Spontaneous Dress-Up Day!  This. Is. Great!

The only problem with a Spontaneous Dress-Up Day is that it is also Semi-Overcast, Almost-Rainy, Wicked-Humid Day, as well.  I pick an airy, sleeveless dress that will give me a lot of space and prevent that nasty stuck-to-oneself feeling when the humidity levels are nearing unbearable.

Next comes jewelry.  Hmmmm.  Necklace?  I try on two; both seem too fancy.  I try on a chunky bracelet; too much, as well.  I end up with simple hoop earrings, a couple of rings, and an ankle chain. 

Shoes are always a problem.  Even though one of my feet has been rebuilt, I still have problems.  My "bionic" foot has Intermetatarsal Neuroma, which basically means I have random phantom pain that makes me want to shoot my foot off.  The other foot has permanent nerve damage from an accident when I was a teen.  I pick out a pair of mid-heel sandals but also bring along a pair of flat sandals, just in case.

I ask her what time she'll be picking me up, and she tells me I have about thirty minutes.  Excellent.  Just enough time to paint my toenails and fingernails with a quick single coat of champagne crystal chrome polish.

I worry that I'm overdressed even though I really just threw a polyester sun dress on, but it has been so long since I played dress-up (for fun or for work) that I almost forget how.  My daughter shows up in a cute cotton sun dress, and we are color-coordinated without meaning to be -- both wearing black-based prints.

After her labs are done, we go to lunch.  After lunch, we end up at the store.  After the store, she has one more appointment.  After the appointment, she drops me off at home.

Alas, I am all dressed up with no place left to go.

The jewelry comes off, sandals are flung toward the stairs, the dress ends up back on a hanger, and my "yoga" pants (officially known as the "I Ate Too Much" pants) go on.  Oh, well.  It was fun while at lasted.

Who's up for the next Dress-Up Day?  I'm thinking a winery is the next logical outing.