Sunday, June 5, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK: THE PESSIMIST RED BLEND 2014


I'm at my favorite wine store for the Saturday tasting, and it's like the tour bus just stopped.  Wall-to-wall people.  Best of all, though, Bob, the guest pourer, is making his usual magic with conversation and marveling us all with his ability to remember exactly which bottle each of us is on without ever missing a beat.

Some mighty tasty wines are on today's list, all picked by the guest host, and most of them are reds.  I am still searching for a decent white, so it looks like today's efforts might be for naught.  There is a decent French Voignier, but it's not quite what my palate has been craving, and there is a rose, but I've been rose-d quite a bit since the Kentucky Derby.

It looks like another Battle of the Reds.

Out of the seven reds on today's list, I am thrilled to see a chianti, which is a red I don't see often at tastings.  It's a contender, to be sure, as is the pinot noir from Oregon.  But today's battle is really between just two.  First up is Le Cirque Rouge, a 2013 red from France that is smooth and drinkable with a great finish.  You know how some reds beg for cheese?  Not this one -- It stands on its own.

The second contender is a red blend from California. It's dark, a red-violet color and texture, and clings to the glass like blood.  This wine earned a 91-point rating from Wine Advocate, which sometimes means nothing to me because I like what I like, but we seem to agree on this one.  Better yet, it's less than $20 per bottle.

The only problem is that I simply cannot buy another red just yet.  My wine rack is half full, it's packed with reds, and I'm the sole consumer of these bottles at the moment.  I should be deeply ashamed of myself, yet, of course, I am not.

Ultimately, though, no wine comes home with me today, not even when I come across a second tasting closer to home.  The guy at Tasting #2 pours a chenin blanc from Cotes du Rhone (I did not write down which vineyard) that is very nice, close to what I'm searching for in a white wine, but not close enough to convince me to adopt a bottle.

I come home with a six-pack of Bad Martha Vineyard Summer Ale to tide me over, but I keep the hand-out from today's tasting.  When my wine rack springs an empty slot (okay, a half-empty slot since it's half-full), I'm filling it with this week's wine winner:  THE PESSIMIST RED BLEND, a 2014 wine from Daou Vineyard in California.